Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum
LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - Printable Version

+- Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum (http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Towing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch (/showthread.php?tid=10074)

Pages: 1 2

LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - davidbrady - 11-13-2013 12:42

Al Perna wanted a pic of my three receiver hitch on my LXi:[attachment=1050] [attachment=1051]

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - al perna - 11-13-2013 17:28

thank you David , this is very helpful .Do you know what Manufacture your receiver matches ? Overbuilt ?

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - davidbrady - 11-13-2013 19:48

Al,

Corey Noble had an Overbuilt installed on his coach. The BB factory hitch is definitely the right width for the Overbuilt. I think Corey realized that to gain ground clearance he needed to mount the Overbuilt above the two outboard BB factory hitches. This required some welding to the BB hitch and some notching of the fiberglass bumper facade. Maybe Corey can fill us in with the details.

For anyone interested, here's what an Overbuilt looks like: ebay item number: 281192559957

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - gondolaguy - 11-13-2013 23:09

David,
You are observant and correct, I had a mobile welding guy (looked just like Larry the Cable Guy) install it after I did measurements and realized it would work much better for clearance being raised slightly. Here is a link to some of the work. Notice the slots in the bumper. http://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431087061/m/8553936957?r=8553936957#8553936957

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - al perna - 11-13-2013 23:53

Corey , Thanks for tuning in here . I am a bit confused here , your install involved cutting the bumper , where David s did not .
If I am not mistaken our single receiver is tied into the frame , so how is this 3 point receiver attached ? did you have Larry weld it above the existing receiver ?
Maybe Ed will tune in soon and let us know what he thinks . I was over Ed s place a few weeks back and I ordered the overbuilt receiver , I have no idea what it looks like or how to go about having it installed . If it isn't to cold Corey , can you take some picks of how yours is welded and where ? I might not be so lucky to find "Larry the Welder ".

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - gondolaguy - 11-15-2013 00:16

(11-13-2013 23:53)al perna Wrote:  Corey , Thanks for tuning in here . I am a bit confused here , your install involved cutting the bumper , where David s did not .
If I am not mistaken our single receiver is tied into the frame , so how is this 3 point receiver attached ? did you have Larry weld it above the existing receiver ?
Maybe Ed will tune in soon and let us know what he thinks . I was over Ed s place a few weeks back and I ordered the overbuilt receiver , I have no idea what it looks like or how to go about having it installed . If it isn't to cold Corey , can you take some picks of how yours is welded and where ? I might not be so lucky to find "Larry the Welder ".

Al,
I didn't use the Overbuilt receiver, I had Larry the Welder build the inserts for the lift by welding them into the existing hitch cross member. It simply replicates what Overbuilt is sending you, but I was able to have the receivers a few inches higher than the Overbuilt or David's set up. This seemed a good idea as I've seen the hitches bottom out and put big stress on the rear structures.

Al,
It is too cold, but for you I would do it, but......my coach is in Florida now. I drove it down to my building where there is power for the winter.

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - al perna - 11-19-2013 17:11

I have the receiver sent from Overbuilt and they say , we must remove the existing hitch and with there plates bolt and weld there receiver in it s place .

Ed , feels that our receiver on the LXI is also a engine support , if true how is this accomplished without disturbing the motor ?

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - davidbrady - 11-19-2013 20:15

Al,

Ed's right. The 3 receiver hitch on the LXi also functions as the support perch for the rearmost engine mounts. I would never attempt to remove the 3 receiver hitch on my LXi. You already have a 3 receiver hitch that's rated for 10,000 lbs maximum towing capacity and 1000 lb maximum tongue weight. Did you give this information to Overbilt? I doubt if the new receiver, attachment plates, and hardware that Overbilt is suggesting is an improvement over Blue Bird's factory 3 receiver hitch. To get Overbilt's buy-in you may have to drive your coach up to show them in person.

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - al perna - 11-19-2013 20:33

I think I may have just wasted some $$$$ all that is needed is 2 2" receivers , spaced so they accept the overbuilt . I agree , I won t be cutting out the original receiver , but I don't want to low , as it scrapes the ground .

David , I do not believe BB built your coach with the 3 point receiver you have . It must have been added by the PO for a lift of some sort . The Pic s you sent were they taken when your coach was new or when you had the underside repainted lo Smile could nt resist .

RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch - davidbrady - 11-19-2013 21:04

(11-19-2013 20:33)al perna Wrote:  I think I may have just wasted some $$$$ all that is needed is 2 2" receivers , spaced so they accept the overbuilt . I agree , I won t be cutting out the original receiver , but I don't want to low , as it scrapes the ground .

I agree, dragging on the ground is a problem. What you need is a button to temporarily raise the backend when needed. What do you plan to carry?

(11-19-2013 20:33)al perna Wrote:  David , I do not believe BB built your coach with the 3 point receiver you have . It must have been added by the PO for a lift of some sort . The Pic s you sent were they taken when your coach was new or when you had the underside repainted lol Smile couldn't resist .

Funny me! Here I go again assuming all LXi's have a 3 receiver hitch. No, I don't know if BB added the two outboard receivers at build time or if the first owner (Scott Hockett) did it later. The factory look fooled me!