Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum
Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - Printable Version

+- Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum (http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Electrical (/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches (/showthread.php?tid=10113)

Pages: 1 2

Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - rrueckwald - 12-20-2013 12:34

I sure don't like to be negative, but BB clamped the 250amp inverter fuses with a metal clamp, which, if it becomes loose as it was on my '95, would be a dead short of the batteries. Proper fuse holders are available, though a bit pricey.

I also don't not like the absence of proper battery bank shutoff switches.

Finally finished upgrading both as well as rerouting battery wires.

Here is a picture as the bus was received in April, and some more as it looks today.

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - ernie ekberg - 12-20-2013 19:15

very nice, Ron

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - davidbrady - 12-21-2013 01:32

Big improvement Ron; thanks for the inspiration. I don't know why your coach didn't have a battery disconnect switch. Could be the work of the dreaded previous owner (DPO). It also looks like the DPO had a hand in looping and draping those un-loomed hot cables in your 'before' photo. That work doesn't look like BB's to me, but I've been wrong before... When you get time, tell us more about the cutoff switches you're using. Thanks!

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - csprenger - 12-21-2013 03:35

(12-21-2013 01:32)davidbrady Wrote:  Big improvement Ron; thanks for the inspiration. I don't know why your coach didn't have a battery disconnect switch. Could be the work of the dreaded previous owner (DPO). It also looks like the DPO had a hand in looping and draping those un-loomed hot cables in your 'before' photo. That work doesn't look like BB's to me, but I've been wrong before... When you get time, tell us more about the cutoff switches you're using. Thanks!

Yes, ALL the details would be appreciated. The battery bank in our coach is stock. It's on my list to add fuses and switches. Thanks.

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - rrueckwald - 12-21-2013 10:01

Definitely not a BB job. The cables looked like spaghetti and were unprotected. The battery cables were connected wrong. It drove me nuts. The big, round, plastic switch BB used in most coaches was intended as a marine battery A,B, A+B selector and a misapplication for several reasons. I used Cole-Hersee switches which is what Parliament used to use when they converted Prevosts, so probably good enough for me....

The fuse holders were another trip. I tried two different manufacturers and neither fit the BB fuses. You have to be careful to get the same hole spacing. I wound up by getting new fuses. Pricey little fellows, they are. I bought all this stuff through Parliament as I was experimenting, but online will save you bucks.

Here are the parts:

The fuses are Blue Sea Systems p/n 5118, a 250 amp Class T fuse. The fuse holders are also Blue Seas. Sorry, no part numbers were on the parts. Another manufacturer was slightly larger, but in that space, smaller is better.

The shutoff switch is a Cole-Hersee 2PST p/n 75908. Switch is good for continuous 300 amps, and 2000 amps for 30 seconds.

In the ’95, the chassis batteries were wired to one post, but a smaller wire was wired to another post, directly from the battery, to give cleaner power to the ECM. This was changed to wire the second post through a double pole shutoff switch so that the battery bank may be completely disconnected. Cole-Hersee 2PST p/n 75907. Good for continuous 300 amps, 2000 amps for 30 seconds. The smaller pole is good for 20 amps continuous.

Not complete, but a start for you, anyway.

Thanks to Shane for making the cables that needed revision.

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - mikebulriss - 12-21-2013 12:28

(12-21-2013 10:01)rrueckwald Wrote:  Not complete, but a start for you, anyway.

Thanks to Shane for making the cables that needed revision.

Thanks for the 'starter' parts list! Very nice job.

Would really like a source for those neat cable end caps to cover the various pole connections.

Thanks again.

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - rrueckwald - 12-21-2013 16:44

Shane suggested ordering battery cable parts from from waytekwire.com. I haven't checked, but they may have the rubber end caps; I got them from Parliament since NAPA and other auto stores did not carry them.

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - rrueckwald - 12-23-2013 16:47

CORRECTIONS:
# 1 I have to correct the fuse holder brand in the pictures. They are Zantrex because the unnamed fuse holders Parliament first supplied did not fit the fuses. Zantrex also shows on the cover compatible fuses in 200 amp, 300 amp, 400 amp versions. Use the same as you pull out. Blue Seas holders and fuses are compatible, but none are compatible with the original BB fuses.

# 2 I got snookered as I had the old fuses on hand from my '95 which were Shawmut A13X250 of 250 amp rating. I made the assumption they would be the same on the '00 LXi. Today I tore the rubber off the removed fuses and found them to be Shawmut A13X400-4 of 400 amp rating. Surprise, surprise. Looking into the Trace inverter handbook, which I should have done to begin with, I find the fuse rating depends upon the length of the cable run. In the '95 it was 5', but in the LXi it is 10'. ergo the difference. The manual shows 0000 cable for the 10' run with a maximum fuse rating of 250 amps in conduit and 360 amps in free air. NEC allows rounding up, so BB installed 400 amp fuses. This means 250 amp is too little for the LXi, but will work if not overtaxed. I will have to buy two more fuses for spares of 360-400 amp rating.

All clear?

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - Mike Huggler - 07-14-2015 21:00

Putting together a Battery disconect switch and Catasrophic Fuse on a panel for my 90SP36 Are the larger battery cables 4/0 or 3/0 ? I think I will use Welding cables so I can bend them easier. This is for the House Battery system. Small space so making a small Panel to hold them.

RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - Mike Huggler - 07-15-2015 10:58

Putting together a Battery disconect switch and Catasrophic Fuse on a panel for my 90SP36 Are the larger battery cables 4/0 or 3/0 ? I think I will use Welding cables so I can bend them easier. This is for the House Battery system. Small space so making a small Panel to hold them.