Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum
Scroll Saws - Printable Version

+- Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum (http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com)
+-- Forum: Sandbox (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Tools (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Scroll Saws (/showthread.php?tid=10416)

Scroll Saws - davidbrady - 02-07-2015 10:54

It's pinewood derby time and need a scroll saw. What manufacturer/product do you folks like?

RE: Scroll Saws - Arcticdude - 02-07-2015 22:57

I'm super old school there. All the computerized stuff is just more crap to go wrong. Mine is a 60 year old Skill saw. It's nicely broken in now. It was my Grandfather's via my Dad. Tough to beat that one.

RE: Scroll Saws - cmillsap - 02-08-2015 00:14

(02-07-2015 22:57)Arcticdude Wrote:  I'm super old school there. All the computerized stuff is just more crap to go wrong. Mine is a 60 year old Skill saw. It's nicely broken in now. It was my Grandfather's via my Dad. Tough to beat that one.
Hi John,

I'm glad to hear from you. I thought maybe you had gotten lost in the wild hinterlands of the North.Big GrinBig Grin

David, Why not use a common jig saw with a narrow blade?

Chuck

RE: Scroll Saws - davidbrady - 02-08-2015 20:20

Thanks guys,

Chuck, I sort of think the stable platform a scroll saw provides which allows two hands on the work material will be safer for my son to use.

I broke down and bought a $50.00 Harbor Freight scroll saw. I normally avoid Harbor Freight tools but the sale price on this unit was too much to bear, and guess what? It works beautifully. I highly recommend it! Regular price was $140 which was marked down to $70 but I then applied a 20% coupon.

All I plan to do is pinewood derby cars and train tracks, so for me this saw is perfect.

RE: Scroll Saws - cmillsap - 02-08-2015 20:51

(02-08-2015 20:20)davidbrady Wrote:  Thanks guys,

Chuck, I sort of think the stable platform a scroll saw provides which allows two hands on the work material will be safer for my son to use.

Probably, David, but give that boy a few more years and he will be telling you which tool to use. He is one smart cookie and savvy to boot.