Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum
Max weight for a toad - Printable Version

+- Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum (http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Towing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Max weight for a toad (/showthread.php?tid=10535)

Max weight for a toad - morganaire - 08-30-2015 20:59

Hi guys -

Looking a buying an SP36 in the near future, and am hoping to get some input regarding our toad. I currently have a Lexus GX470 that weighs in a just over 5K pounds and would LOVE to use this as a toad. I know it's heavy, and I know a lighter rig would be better, but I love my Lexus (if you saw her you'd understand), and would love to tow her around without feeling like I was either abusing the 'Bird or dialing my MPG's down to near zero while towing. Any sage advice? Should I sell and get a lighter toad or can a SP handle this old girl?

RE: Max weight for a toad - davidbrady - 08-30-2015 22:32

You're fine. I'd definitely pull the Lexus. Attached is a motorhome fuel economy paper by Caterpillar. I'm assuming your new SP will weigh around 34000 lbs and will have a 300hp Cat 3208. Check out the charts in the paper that compare mileage at a fixed 300hp as GCW goes from 34000 lbs to 40000 lbs. Flat and level is a non-issue. Your 6% hill climb performance drops from 45 mph down to 40 mph. From this paper I'd expect about a 5% average fuel economy penalty by increasing your GCW by the amount of your Lexus. But, don't forget you'll be towing something regardless. So say it's a minicooper and it weighs only 3000lb. The relative fuel mileage loss by increasing your toad weight by a couple thousand pounds should be in the 1 to 2% range. I think you're okay.

BTW, welcome to the forum. We guarantee that you'll always get answers to all of your questions and on occasion they may even be correct! Smile

RE: Max weight for a toad - GregOConnor - 08-31-2015 00:42

not sure but is it a tow'ed or a towed. the Pinto I pull behind my GMC is a toad for sure[attachment=1783]

but the H2 I pull behind my LXi I call a Tow'ed. [attachment=1784]

I think you will be fine with the weight. that 3208 is built to pull 60,000 loads. I has several of them in dumptrucks in the past with more than 400,000 miles when I first converted them into dumptrucks. one thing I do is pump up the tires in the tow'ed to max on the sidewall label to reduce the friction.

RE: Max weight for a toad - morganaire - 08-31-2015 01:37

Thanks for the great info guys - extremely helpful! I'm happy to hear that I don't have to abandon the Lexus Smile

RE: Max weight for a toad - NedHoopes - 11-24-2015 14:33

Welcome Ken! I just saw your post on towing. One thing to consider is the tow rating on an SP36. I believe it is rated at 5,000 lbs which is hard to believe for this model. Some owners have added some additional bracing for added strength. I tow a Jeep Wrangler and feel very confident with it.

RE: Max weight for a toad - GregOConnor - 11-28-2015 23:36

Stopping may be the reason for a 5 grand lit... or the tong weight variable which would be 18% or 900 lbs. None of these apply with a tow'ed. Wouldn't hurt to mount frame to hitch safety cables. If you max the air pressure in the tow'ed they pull with less effort.