Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum
'83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - Printable Version

+- Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum (http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! (/showthread.php?tid=10578)

Pages: 1 2

'83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - diesel.gypsy - 10-03-2015 01:53

Huh
I bought my bird a little over a week ago...and though I love her comfort and sturdiness, I do not like that someone wasn't up front about a few things! I've been in two different shops (that do big rigs) for over a week. I live in the Wanderlodge, so it's no fun.
First off I thought I'd be responsible right off and get the fluids and filters changed..great..that and 5 new batteries...but my 12.5 Perkins gen that worked fine before has caused a week of mechanics going crazy trying to figure out why she won't start now.

WORSE YET I need a new power steering pump. I was told I need a Haldex RP30305x and they aren't worth rebuilding because they always fail...the closest one would be 3 days out. I looked at my service parts sheet and it says I need a Eaton ER-16266-1!
I know someone before me had the part replaced and I wonder if it was with the wrong one, or if they went to the Haldex after changing the pitman for a reason.

I'm a newbie and could use some help!
Thanks!

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - davidbrady - 10-03-2015 02:34

Welcome to the world of ultra-vintage wanderlodges. Let me introduce you to another site: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com. There's guys over there who swear by the forward controls, perkins, haldex, and eaton power steering pumps. Frankly, I think this stuff belongs in museums. Good luck!

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - diesel.gypsy - 10-03-2015 02:48

So what you are saying is this site doesn't like the older Birds, or there's an alternative to the type of power steering pump I need?

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - davidbrady - 10-03-2015 12:45

We love the vintage birds; actually they are all vintage, but this site is better at answering questions about Wide Body's and newer, say starting around 1988 and newer. Although, we do have a lot of information in our Document Library and in our WanderlodgeForum archives for the older birds. Go over here and search our archives using the Google Custom Search feature. Our document library is well organized so you could start by poking around there and asking questions that arise on this site or on wog.

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - mikebulriss - 10-03-2015 14:44

diesel gypsy,

I think David was just trying to give you other sources for immediate responses. It is the weekend, so many folks are offline. Almost all of us started in older Birds. In my case it was an 83PT40. When Sprenger at "MacAttack Racing" sees this thread, he will probably have great current info for you.

In general when posting questions, it is always better to include what model 83 is it. PT or FC, this would help some in getting responses that are more accurate. Also, indicating your general location will help refer you to possible sources of help close to you.

Meanwhile, if you perform a search (on the upper tool bar) on the WanderlodgeForum section of this site, those are the posts from the original WanderlodgeForum, which pre-dates all existing internet sites today, so there is tons of great info in there on the 'earlier' Birds. A quick search I did on "power steering pump" brought up 4 pages or more of threads related to this subject. The first thread I looked at (titled "power steering pump") had several sources of parts and/or rebuilders listed. I never had any problems with mine, so I can't comment further on that subject.

As regards the Perkins, they are quite reliable and heavily used in the boating community. If you are near a boating community, diesel shops in those areas should be very familiar with them. They are also heavily used on bobcats and small tractors, so it is not like they are uncommon at diesel shops. If it's getting fuel and air, it is usually happy. A common reason that they suddenly stop starting after having been running well is usually the "push-pull" relay switch that controls fuel flow. I can't remember the official name of that relay, but that's the reason mine didn't start when that switch stuck. I am having a hard time understanding why an experienced diesel shop can't figure out why it is not starting. That casts doubts on their experience to me.

OTOH, I just remembered that you said had serviced all the engines, including oils and filters. After changing all filters on the Perkins, getting them primed and re-running can sometimes be a challenge. There is a little push lever on the 'lift pump' (aka fuel pump) to use in priming the system. You may also (probably will) have to bleed all the injectors to get it running again also. This is quite common and can take a lot of engine turning until it finally bleeds out the air and starts. Perkins can be difficult to get running after changing filters. And if you never get good fuel flow while cranking the engine and bleeding the injectors, the lift pump or injector pump could be weak and on it's last legs. Again, a good diesel shop would/should know all this.

Since you just got it, did your Bird sit unused for quite a while before you got it?

Good luck to you and welcome to the Wanderlodge community!

FWIW,

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - davidbrady - 10-03-2015 17:31

Looks like the Haldex RP30305X maps to a ER15092-1:
http://www.haldex.com/fr/LAmerique-du-nord/Produits-et-Applications/Frein-et-systemes-de-suspension/Catalogue-Produits/Power-Steering-Pumps/HobournEaton-/Eaton-U-Pump---Remanufactured/RP30305X

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3dRP30305X%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3dRP30305X%26D​k%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

http://www.pss1.com/

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - patticake - 10-05-2015 09:49

Why do you say you need a new pump? Is it leaking? is it hard to turn standing still?
If you have an FC, those pumps were early dump truck pumps. A truck junk yard may be a good source.

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - Itchintogo - 10-05-2015 16:50

I think your in Bellingham not far away but you have no identification on your posts so it hard to tell. What two shops have you been to?

I also think you purchased The Bird Abides which is indeed an 83 FC. But again I see no mention of that in your post so I can't be sure.

I know the PO of that Bird and the Bird lived very near Bellingham. I also know he replaced that power steering pump 3 times I believe and I have driven that bus. Someone put the wrong one on and it did not last long. Then he replaced it again apparently with the proper one. What has happened to it since he owned the bus is anyone's guess as it has been awhile. He moved on and bought a Prevost. Not sure what it is doing now that makes you think you need a new pump as there was no information posted.

Good luck to you it was a decent FC when I knew it and I considered buying it but bought my PT instead. I know he had some of the Blue on the body repainted as well to keep it looking nice. Did your generator lose it's prime? If it worked fine before it was serviced it should be nothing major as Mike points out. You need knowledgable truck repair facilities. The PO used to take it to a shop in Blaine to be repaired i was there once with him but I can't remember the name however I do remember the people were of Russian decent I believe.

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - diesel.gypsy - 10-05-2015 18:50

Yes, I'm in Bellingham.... And it is the same bird. Part should be here tomorrow... Think I have mechanic talked into v pullout system as it's only 2 pully now. There has to be a reason for the multiple failures .
The other shop, that fried my starter was the one you mentioned, IK . they must have had a diff mechanic back then.
I love my bird and not about to give up... Just need someone smarter than her working on her.

RE: '83 Bird needs power steering pump, I need my sanity! - Itchintogo - 10-05-2015 18:59

Yeah that is odd because I am sure they serviced that generator before. How many miles are on it now? Did you have the belts checked because if it is the same it has been a few years since they were changed.

There is what seemed to me to be a decent shop on northside Bakerview just west of Hannigan Road. There is a place that makes hydraulic hoses up and then this shop I am talking about next door. Can't remember the name and Google is not ringing a bell for me. Across the street from Northland Diesel. You could try them as well and Sound diesel is close by as well.

i talked to them about working on my bus. One thing I do, is outright ask if they want to work on it. Sometimes people don't want to offend and quote you even though in their head they are saying to themselves they don't really want to get into a one off Bluebird. For a lot of mechanics your FC will be a one off. Hard to work on often with little room when compared to a conventional truck.

This shop seemed interested in working on the bus and there is on old Flxible sitting in the yard close by so I suspect another bus nut is on loose there. There are quite a few repairs shops in that neighbourhood.

P.S. if it is your starter fried on the genny try talking to these guys. Whatcom Electric & Battery
2021 Toledo St. Bellingham, WA 98229
8:00am-5:30pm Monday - Friday
9:00am-3:00pm Saturday
360-733-5051
They are a very good old fashioned electric shop. You may be able to R&R yourself and save some money. That is where you should get your batteries as well. The Alaskan Golds are house brand but are really North American made Crown batteries. I buy all that kind of stuff there. For my Detroit 2 stroke they made me an alternator with a different set of diodes that survive the heat better in the engine compartment. Good guys.