Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum
Tales of the TOAD - Printable Version

+- Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum (http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Towing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Tales of the TOAD (/showthread.php?tid=112)

Pages: 1 2

Tales of the TOAD - Itchintogo - 02-24-2013 15:38

What do you use for a TOAD and why? The reason can be many. Some like Jeeps for 4X4 adventures while camped, some like Saturns as a daily driver and a TOAD for efficiency sake. Some pull enclosed trailers.

I have not had to pull a TOAD as yet as i have stayed fairly local but if I was going far and needed a TOAD I would just pull my Duramax. It needs no modifications and I could not justify the extra expense of another vehicle, set up, license and insurance simply for a TOAD to use sporadically. But that is just my situation.

Tell us what you pull for a TOAD and why. It will be fun to learn different opinions and logic.

RE: Tales of the TOAD - DOSZORROS - 02-24-2013 19:23

Gary:

I pull a Suzuki 4WD for a toad as I do a lot of off the main drag running; beaches, dunes, fields, mountain trails, etc. I am currently pulling the 6th one that I have owned starting with a 1986 Samari and now have a 2002 XL7. They are lightweight, reliable and they have quit building them in America.

RE: Tales of the TOAD - Hoosierdaddy - 02-24-2013 21:23

Our Toads have included,,,Suzuki Samurai, Light economical rode like a tractor (The Rough Country off-road spring kit was to blame for the ride.)--'92 Jeep Cherokee 6 cylinder 5spd, Loved it...except for poor build quality--'97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition V8...really loved it...Ran it to 190,000 miles It loved gas!.--2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 2.8 diesel...Great Toad. Ran it to 120,000 miles. It averaged 26 mpg. Not so comfortable for 300 mile days when I used it for business. Currently 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6 V6. So far very pleased. I have not towed it . A bit bemused by the odd procedure to get it to shift into neutral.
I bought an Imperial 19' car trailer for towing behind motorhome this year.

http://www.imperialtrailer.com/carhaulers.asp#

I'm not sure if I'll like the trailer better than flat towing or not. It will free up my options as to which vehicle we take with us.

RE: Tales of the TOAD - cmillsap - 02-24-2013 21:28

(02-24-2013 15:38)Itchintogo Wrote:  What do you use for a TOAD and why? The reason can be many. Some like Jeeps for 4X4 adventures while camped, some like Saturns as a daily driver and a TOAD for efficiency sake. Some pull enclosed trailers.

I have not had to pull a TOAD as yet as i have stayed fairly local but if I was going far and needed a TOAD I would just pull my Duramax. It needs no modifications and I could not justify the extra expense of another vehicle, set up, license and insurance simply for a TOAD to use sporadically. But that is just my situation.

Tell us what you pull for a TOAD and why. It will be fun to learn different opinions and logic.
Gary,

I sure understand your reasoning about not buying a car exclusively for use as a Toad
I’ve pulled a 2000 Jeep Cherokee toad for the last 13 years and with the last 3 coaches I owned. When not behind the bus, it just sits in the garage along with the bus. My son blew the engine in his old Mustang so I gave him the Jeep. Now I don’t have a toad.

I’ve been thinking that I would like to find a vehicle I could use as my everyday driver and get away from a 3 car situation. Tela loves her new Chrysler 300 so I can’t get rid of that but I am thinking about trading my F150 Ford ecoboost for a 4x4 F150 FX so I can tow it 4 wheels down.

RE: Tales of the TOAD - Arcticdude - 02-25-2013 02:27

The F150 tows very well behind the bus. It's just wide enough to be able to spot the truck mirrors when you look in the bus mirrors. Saves some glances to the rear view camera. Very easy to put into neutral, too.

RE: Tales of the TOAD - encantotom - 02-25-2013 11:30

we bought a honda crv for my wife to drive as her daily driver and to tow behind the newell. it does both extremely well. it is our first honda and we really like it.

as for why do we pull it with us.....we do lots of things once parked that we wouldnt be able to do without having a car with us.

tom

RE: Tales of the TOAD - pgchin - 02-25-2013 12:22

For years we used a little 4x8 trailer to haul around a Harley dresser. Added one of these for the mutts.
[attachment=107]

Man, that thing attracted more attention then the bike or bird. People would stop us everywhere wanting one. Then old age decided I was having too much fun and an inner ear issue developed with severe balancing issues and I could no longer ride in the mountains. So one of the neighbors was selling their brand new 2007 chevy malibu for 1/2 price, 6 months old with 2k miles on it. He had just purchased it but developed a case of dementia and could no longer drive. He tried to give it to his grand daughter for free but she said it was too plain so he got P'oed and sold it to me. We got LUCKY!Tongue It towed 4 down and is the daily driver. Fold down seat, 4 door, great for the mutts, man that thing is like a mini pickup truck with HUGE trunk, I haul everything around in that thing. 4 cyl 30MPG and cheap wheels! Fast forward several years, I'm better now with the ear thing BUT not 100% healed, I still get nauseous on the bike in the mountains so it looks like a 4 down deal will always be in my future!Angry I STILL need to drive a car in the mountains and can't ride as a passenger, driving forces me to concentrate and not get nauseous. UGH!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Tales of the TOAD - Itchintogo - 02-25-2013 14:06

Sounds like you have a ton of TOAD experience. I also wanted to stop in say I love your Username. Brilliant! One of the best I have ever seen. Makes me smile every time I see it.

(02-24-2013 21:23)Hoosierdaddy Wrote:  Our Toads have included,,,Suzuki Samurai, Light economical rode like a tractor (The Rough Country off-road spring kit was to blame for the ride.)--'92 Jeep Cherokee 6 cylinder 5spd, Loved it...except for poor build quality--'97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition V8...really loved it...Ran it to 190,000 miles It loved gas!.--2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 2.8 diesel...Great Toad. Ran it to 120,000 miles. It averaged 26 mpg. Not so comfortable for 300 mile days when I used it for business. Currently 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6 V6. So far very pleased. I have not towed it . A bit bemused by the odd procedure to get it to shift into neutral.
I bought an Imperial 19' car trailer for towing behind motorhome this year.

http://www.imperialtrailer.com/carhaulers.asp#

I'm not sure if I'll like the trailer better than flat towing or not. It will free up my options as to which vehicle we take with us.

RE: Tales of the TOAD - thudpilot1 - 03-08-2013 09:54

We take our home with us (our BMC), park it in an area like Del Rio, Texas or Zion NP area, and use our toad (05 CRV) to do adventuring!! Have been doing this for 14 or so years and plan to do so another 14 if we don't run out of age!! First year, we didn't have a toad and on long trips across country would rent a car in some areas. The convenience and flexibility of "toading" is for us a MUST!!
Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37

RE: Tales of the TOAD - thudpilot1 - 03-10-2013 21:30

:huh:We will be getting a new toad during the summer and will be selling our 2005 CRV when we return from our western trek starting very soon. Am considering the M&G braking system (which we have on our CRV and love) along with the M&G tow bar which can be a backable system depending on toad caster and other.
Very happy with our Blue Ox tow bar, etc., but intrigued by the M&G system.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Ed Nowokunski