Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum
Something for the VDub owners - Printable Version

+- Wanderlodge Gurus - The Member Funded Wanderlodge Forum (http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Towing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Something for the VDub owners (/showthread.php?tid=9840)

Something for the VDub owners - Arcticdude - 06-03-2013 17:53

Take a gander at this!

http://www.wimp.com/beetleidea/

I wouldn't want to see what happens in a crosswind!!

RE: Something for the VDub owners - nedb - 06-03-2013 21:20

(06-03-2013 17:53)Arcticdude Wrote:  Take a gander at this!

http://www.wimp.com/beetleidea/

I wouldn't want to see what happens in a crosswind!!

Great choreography. I love the pirouetting bug Big Grin

RE: Something for the VDub owners - patticake - 06-03-2013 22:06

Good idea! Now, I wonder about an electrical hookup(for tail lights, etc.) and braking. I remember seeing an ad for that at a VW dealership, but didn't think much about it at the time.
By the way, I had a bug at that time, of course, it was well modified for high speed touring(I was building engines for a VW dealership at the time)

RE: Something for the VDub owners - Arcticdude - 06-03-2013 22:32

Steve,
Is there anything you haven't done???!!!! You've had more jobs than I have! Wink

RE: Something for the VDub owners - davidbrady - 06-04-2013 09:20

Hilarious commentary. Oh, I miss the 70's! I love how the driver hangs his entire body out the door in an effort to line up the hitch. Imagine that rattling hitch over your head during a long days drive! Whoa! When I was a kid my Dad would load all six of us into his 1963 Beetle, connect up the U-Haul trailer, and haul us all down to Ocean City NJ for our summer vacation - three boys in the back and my sissy sitting on my Mom's lap up front, no seat belts. Every fall we put a new clutch in the Beetle and often during the ride home we enjoyed clutchless shifting! Today my three little one's complain that the trip from NC to Harrisburg Pa to visit my folks is too long; we do this run in the LXi! Sigh!

RE: Something for the VDub owners - pgchin - 06-04-2013 10:11

(06-04-2013 09:20)davidmbrady Wrote:  Hilarious commentary. Oh, I miss the 70's! 1963 Beetle, often during the ride home we enjoyed clutchless shifting!

ROTFLMAO,
Come on, anyone who was there and owned one of these things KNEW you did NOT need a clutch to shift them!!!!Big Grin Beetles were GREAT cars to teach people how to use a clutch back in the day so they did not burn up your big block 4 speeds!Tongue
Well, I guess except for Steve's slightly modified engines!!!!!Tongue When I was a kid, I used to work part time after school for a retired Ferrari race car driver who used to race for the factory team, retired and opened up a shop near my home..... He used to rebuild hopped up bug engines for the local kids, I will always remember once we got the engine and tranny combo unbolted from the frame, we would lift the entire rear end of the car up and over the engine and tranny combo!!!!!!Big GrinTongue So funny I could NOT believe it the first time I saw that done! This guy was a real piece of work!
John,Steve and David, thanks for sharing and bringing back great childhood memories!

RE: Something for the VDub owners - patticake - 06-04-2013 21:40

Remember, that '63 was "a powerful" 40 horse engine.