RE: Doszorros summer base
Sweet George, viviendo la buena vida! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2013, 10:53 (This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 11:00 by Ms. Bee.)
George, do you know of a safe campground in or around Anchorage?

We may have an installation and start up job to do in Quinhagak Alaska this summer and I thought we should take the coach and I'd stay in the Anchorage area.

Darrell however, doesn't think that there is a safe place for me to stay there alone for a week or so with our dogs. He thinks it would be better for me to stay in BC and he'd fly up.

What do you think?

Last time previous to owning the Bird we stayed at The Captain Cook Hotel during Fur Rondy. It's such a beautiful area that I'd really like to go again, and do some exploring.

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
02-25-2013, 11:51
Jenn,

Take a look here:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Ala...orage.html

This will give you a good idea of whats there. I tent camped in 02 in the area and had no issues, but obviously that was a while back.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
02-25-2013, 12:52
(02-25-2013 11:51)Arcticdude Wrote:  Jenn,

Take a look here:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Ala...orage.html

This will give you a good idea of whats there. I tent camped in 02 in the area and had no issues, but obviously that was a while back.

Thanks, Articdude.
The last one Portage Valley in Whittier appeals to me. Smile

2000 LXi ME SS
02-25-2013, 14:59
That's the one that stood out to me, too. Still close enough to run into Anchorage whenever you want, but far enough to be away from it. I don't know how the traffic is headed south; but headed north it's a zoo at quitting time. The Palmer-Wasilla light gets traffic backed up for several miles. Or at least it used to, hopefully they've changed it now.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
02-27-2013, 10:55
(02-25-2013 14:59)Arcticdude Wrote:  That's the one that stood out to me, too. Still close enough to run into Anchorage whenever you want, but far enough to be away from it. I don't know how the traffic is headed south; but headed north it's a zoo at quitting time. The Palmer-Wasilla light gets traffic backed up for several miles. Or at least it used to, hopefully they've changed it now.

We've been by there before on our way through the tunnel to Whittier. Great area!

2000 LXi ME SS
03-02-2013, 15:26
Ms. Bee:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I haven't spent much time on the computer the last few days.

There are several RV parks in the Anchorage area including Eagle River, Peters Creek, Palmer and north up the Parks Highway north of Wasilla. Ship Creek RV Park is one in Anchorage; 800-323-5757. Whittier is a difficult travel destination as the Seward Highway is choked with traffic in the summertime. The Kenai Peninsula is the Anchorage city park on weekends plus every tourist that is in Alaska wants to go to the Kenai Peninsula. If you want to see the country instead of the city, I would recommend an RV park north of Palmer toward Wasilla or just north of Wasilla. That would largely avoid the Anchorage commute traffic which can be fierce.

I don't know what to tell you about "SAFE" as that is a relative term. I consider all of the above areas to be safe and have never had any safety issues from a social standpoint anyplace in Alaska. I have had a few safety concerns experienced in 20 years of bush flying. I am insured by Smith & Wesson as a precaution.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)