Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
park recommendations
06-30-2014, 23:30
park recommendations
We're traveling west from Mooresville,NC with stops in Asheville and Nashville. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best parks to stay in? Unfortunately, our schedule doesn't align with the Wanderlodge Gurus rally...maybe next year.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 10:15 (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 10:16 by davidbrady.)
RE: park recommendations
Hi Kurt,

I like Rutledge Lakes Campground in Fletcher, NC. It's easy to get into and out of, easy access from the interstates, it's peaceful and quiet and even tranquil, and it's close to downtown Asheville. I've never used a campground in Nashville Tn. When I layover in Nashville I usually camp for free at the Prevost Car service center in Goodlettesville. I've used the Prevost facility when I owned my LXi.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
07-01-2014, 16:16
Kurt,
There are several parks just off Briley Pkwy, on Music Valley Dr.. They are about 2 miles from OpryLand, near lots of food & stuff to do.
Also, camping world is right there.
Gregg

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
07-01-2014, 22:54
How far west are you going? If you're getting as far as Memphis, Tom Sawyer's in West Memphis is definitely worth staying in. It seems like you're headed to nowhere when you start that way, but I made it easy with the toad attached. Any of the spots are acceptable, some better than others, but all decent.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
06-20-2015, 11:25
A few days ago Martha and I were on our way to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We decided to stop in Greenville, Alabama at a park we've wanted to check out for quite a time. Sherling Lake RV Park (http://www.greenville-alabama.com/Defaul...ing%20Lake) is a real gem of a park. All concrete pads, nice paved roads and full hook-ups and beautifully landscaped. A Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Course is adjacent. Its owned by the City of Greenville, Alabama and only $25.00 a night.

If you are ever driving on I-65 and get a little tired, you ought to stop there.

I don't know why we have never stopped there before, except its about 6 miles off the Interstate and you can't see it from the highway and there are no signs noting its location.

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
07-30-2015, 23:04
John,

The Tom Sawyer recommendation in West Memphis was very timely and we enjoyed it for 5 days, even if the mosquitoes were big enough to try to carry us off! Wow - I've still got the bite scars nearly 4 weeks later! We enjoyed being right on the banks of the mighty muddy Mississippi watching the tugs and their barge loads. Not many pleasure craft were seen.

Currently, I have been in the Manassas, VA area for the last 12 days at the Bull Run Northern Virginia Regional Park, right near the Manassas battlefield and I can recommend it for anyone needing to be in the DC area. They honor Good Sam's for a small discount. We could only secure an electric only site, but the power is good, it is really nice and private, heavily treed with large table, BBQ and fire ring, and with the large tanks on a Bird, it has been no problem. Bull Run Park roads are as good or better than the state roads. VA secondary roads tend to be kind of skinny, but not near as bad as Hwy 61 in PA was! Avoid that sucker at all costs currently, regardless of what the PA Welcome Center says!

I now need some new (and rather quick) recommendations for good campgrounds or parking spots in the following areas:
1 - somewhere between Norfolk, VA and Elizabeth City, NC;
2 - around Statesville, NC; and
3 - somewhere around Greenville, SC.

Thanks for any recommendations on the above areas!

Happy trails,

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
07-31-2015, 11:14 (This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 11:26 by cvaughn.)
The RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads
415 Wallace Fork Rd
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
252 538 9776
We stayed there last May. Good cg.
Sorry I thought you were starting in Richmond. RR not really on your way

Bethpage CG is on the Va peninsula.

Rockyhock CG is between Hertford and Edenton. Dave's Red Barn (on Site) is great fun on Friday nights. Yes, the name is real. From the Chowan Indians.

Charlie Vaughn
1999 LXi
08-04-2015, 19:28 (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 19:29 by mikebulriss.)
Thanks Charlie. I haven't made it that far west yet, but I may try Rockyhock CG later this week.

Still looking for other park recommendations for Statesville or Mooresville, NC and then in Greenville, SC area.

Thanks.

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)