Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Television Upgrade In My LXi
11-11-2015, 12:56 (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 13:04 by davidbrady.)
RE: Television Upgrade In My LXi
Here's a video of the RTI bus and A/V control system that DMRV installs:

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 12:05
Hello David,

I'm having the same problem that you are with your TVs. We are installing new Samsung TVs and will have the existing Crestron programed to operate them. The problem is that the Crestron requires a different IR signal to turn the TVs on and off. Most TVs now use the same IR signal to do that. I.E. one button on the TV to turn it on or off. We will use the Crestron to change the source inputs but may have to use the TV remotes to turn them on and/off. This is the least expensive way to upgrade our A/V system. The Crestron has no HDMI capabilities, just coax cabling, so upgrading the Crestron to support HDMI HD and UHD capabilities using an IPad is a complicated and costly process which we can do later as the Smart TVs we installed will be compatable. My point in telling you the above is if your system is still capable of selecting the input sources, this may be an option for you

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
11-13-2015, 15:42 (This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 16:06 by davidbrady.)
Thanks for the heads-up Chuck.

What you describe with the infrared on/off power switching may drive me to my old standby approach of forgoing a smartTV in favor of a dumb computer monitor. I used an NEC monitor in my LXi and it was really simple to set up and control. In addition to having an infrared "power on" command that's distinct from the "power off" command, the NEC monitors such as the E505 come with built-in ATSC digital tuners. I'm thinking a simple way to set this up is to have a player and a receiver at each of my three TV locations: the stateroom, salon, and basement, each with its own sound system. This way there would be minimal switching of video or sound between the areas. I'd also want external HDMI ports to connect XBOX's and other gaming systems. To me, this seems like a simple approach.

I'd then ditch the AMX and have Donnie Myers set up the RTI to control each independent location with the RTI infrared control processors. The RTI system also has the capability to control everything else as shown in the above videos. To me there's value in letting Donnie set up the RTI. He already has the source code and his solution has become the de-facto standard control solution for Vantare coaches. He has all the bits needed to interface to the coach's low voltage relay systems to make the RTI control system work seamlessly.

I'm trying to make time to have the RTI installed this winter.

david brady,

11-14-2015, 12:03 (This post was last modified: 11-14-2015 12:11 by cvaughn.)
I talked to a local TV guy recently. He thought he had an HDMI to RCA Jack converter. He has not called me back.
I did find the link interesting>
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theate...orks-care/

I also found this device to connect HDMI to my RCA jacks for my acc speaker system. Any ideas if it will work.
AutoWT Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink Signal to Analog Audio Converter Adapter RCA L/R output with Optical Toslink...

AutoWT Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink Signal to Analog Audio Converter Adapter RCA L/R output with Optical Toslink...
by AutoWT
$16.99$30.99Prime
Get it by Monday, Nov 16
More Buying Choices
$16.99new(2 offers)

Charlie Vaughn
1999 LXi
11-14-2015, 12:57
Hi Charlie,

What's the model number of the Samsung Smart TV? If we had that then we could look up the manual to see what kind of audio outputs it has. I did a search for a 32" Samsung Smart TV and came up with this: UN32H5203AFXZA. This TV has a digital optical audio out and a 3.5mm stereo output. Cables are available to go from the 3.5mm to RCA stereo outputs for your receiver. If your TV has this it's probably a better approach to an off-the-shelf digital to analog converter box of dubious sound quality.

david brady,

11-14-2015, 14:25
My TV is model # UN32H5500. This model has RCA jacks for Audio out. This approach will work, but I am unable to control volume when I turn off the TV speakers and turn on the remote speakers. The TV prompts " please control loudness thru the device controlling the remote speakers." My amp has no volume control. The TV input has always controlled the volume thru the remote in the past. Not so with this TV. Its loud. no control.

Charlie Vaughn
1999 LXi
11-14-2015, 17:26 (This post was last modified: 11-14-2015 17:50 by travelite.)
Hi Charlie,

I think you either need to put an A/V receiver between your smartTV and your Bose Sound Labs that can either terminate HDMI ARC (and let your TV remote control volume), or output SPDIF, RCA, or Optical sound and use the receiver remote to adjust volume. I don't think any of those twenty dollar converters that terminate an HDMI ARC input and output SPDIF, Optical, RCA, or 3.5mm will pass the volume control from the smartTV; I believe that information is lost (IOWs, the consumer electronics control aspect of ARC is lost). Another alternative might be to install a soundbar. In any case I think you need another box to do what you you're looking for. (caveat, I'm certainly no expert in this area but this is what I gather).

david brady,

09-28-2019, 21:39
Hello

I know this thread has been around awhile.

On my 2001 LXi I installed two new "smart" tv's. I would like to be able to play them thru the "Bose" system. The stereo and CD pack seems to work fine. There must be away to do this but no luck. The "smart" tv's are surely smarter than I am.

I have tried to find an older electronic guy to go thru this system but no luck.

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
09-30-2019, 13:47
Assuming they're physically connected by cables and the Bose system is set to play that input out, there may be output changes that need to be made in the TV's menus.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-30-2019, 19:59
This will probably show that I am not that informed on electronics.

Where is the input for the Bose system. I spent a little time trying to find with no luck. Does anyone have a picture of the unit?

thanks

Urnie

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)