Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air leak detector
03-28-2015, 19:49
Air leak detector
Hi,
A friend has a Newell and had a mysterious leak that Newell techs spent hours on.
The owner bought this and lent it to them. 10 minuts.

Read the reviews here:

Inficon Whisper

When I get to sit long enough somewhere, I'll order it.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dentmac's post
03-28-2015, 20:17
RE: Air leak detector
(03-28-2015 19:49)dentmac Wrote:  Hi,
A friend has a Newell and had a mysterious leak that Newell techs spent hours on.
The owner bought this and lent it to them. 10 minuts.

Read the reviews here:

Inficon Whisper

When I get to sit long enough somewhere, I'll order it.

I purchased one years ago...many of us have used it...good investment.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
03-31-2015, 23:18
I've also got one, but haven't yet been successful finding anything with it. But, I've also only tried once so far. I could hear leaks, but couldn't locate them with the Inficon.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
[+] 1 user Likes Arcticdude's post
04-02-2015, 19:25 (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 19:26 by cmillsap.)
Yeah, I have one too. They can be tricky to use. The best way I have found is to fill the air system and turn off the compressor then check for leaks as the system pressure bleeds down. If you try to use it when the compressor is on, the air rush through the lines and fittings will produce a false reading. Otherwise, mine works pretty well. Once it finds a leak, I still confirm it with soap & water.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
04-03-2015, 00:22
(04-02-2015 19:25)cmillsap Wrote:  Yeah, I have one too. They can be tricky to use. The best way I have found is to fill the air system and turn off the compressor then check for leaks as the system pressure bleeds down. If you try to use it when the compressor is on, the air rush through the lines and fittings will produce a false reading. Otherwise, mine works pretty well. Once it finds a leak, I still confirm it with soap & water.

Chuck, do you have the unit with the metal probe? Mine is before the probe. But I do have an HorFrt unit with probe. Agree, air pressure up, then enabled...use the rubber tube(s) to detect air leak(s)...then the antenna touching the lines, parts, etc. in the same area...have detected leaks a few times. Nothing major or needing attention.

I HATE AIR LEAKS!!! My buddy tells me to be happy with the state air leak down specs for the brakes. The rest...up to us to be frustrated, or not.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
04-03-2015, 04:29 (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 17:29 by cmillsap.)
(04-03-2015 00:22)csprenger Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 19:25)cmillsap Wrote:  Yeah, I have one too. They can be tricky to use. The best way I have found is to fill the air system and turn off the compressor then check for leaks as the system pressure bleeds down. If you try to use it when the compressor is on, the air rush through the lines and fittings will produce a false reading. Otherwise, mine works pretty well. Once it finds a leak, I still confirm it with soap & water.

Chuck, do you have the unit with the metal probe? Mine is before the probe. But I do have an HorFrt unit with probe. Agree, air pressure up, then enabled...use the rubber tube(s) to detect air leak(s)...then the antenna touching the lines, parts, etc. in the same area...have detected leaks a few times. Nothing major or needing attention.

I HATE AIR LEAKS!!! My buddy tells me to be happy with the state air leak down specs for the brakes. The rest...up to us to be frustrated, or not.

Hi Curt,

The metal probe was an option on my unit which I don't have. I agree with your buddy. It is a constant work in progress. My brake air system is tight and will stay pressurized for many days. The rear suspension will slowly drop to the bump stops over a few hours but the front air springs will stay fully inflated for days. The weight of the engine and batteries at the rear probably causes this.

The accessories air system for the step, slide seal, dump valves, driver's seat, toilet and etc. will drop to zero in about an hour. I have replaced several fittings and lines to keep the leaks to a minimum. So it is a constant battle as most leaks happen in the accessories air system. There are so many fitting in that system that a small leak on a few of them will deplete the system pretty quickly. The DOT fittings aren't cheap either.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
04-05-2015, 10:58
Has anyone used MMO or air gun oil to slow the leaks, and if so, does it work?

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
04-07-2015, 19:44
My bus will stay up on the bags for many days. You just have to find the leaks. Don't forget to spray the bags with soapy water to see if they are leaking. I have replaced MANY fittings with DOT fittings, as many as I could find. The huge air loss came within the tag axle shift cylinder. I will put a shutoff valve in that tied to the ignition.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
04-08-2015, 11:55 (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 12:02 by Itchintogo.)
My bus would stay up indefinitely on the rear suspension but the steering axle would deflate overnight or some times in an hour or two. I suspected the ride height valve as the possible culprit.

As for MMO it is a petroleum based product and we all know that petroleum degrades rubber. Given your brake diaphragms are made from rubber and you depend on those for stopping it would not be a method of choice for me.

I know it has been done on some rigs, but from a preventative and long term solution perspective, I think it is a cheap rudimentary shortcut, not well thought out, with potentially serious or deadly side effects. Given your compressor can potentially contaminate the system when needing overhaul I would not be introducing any other petroleum based products in an intentional manner.

Look here:http://www.otsi.nsw.gov.au/bus/IR-Woodpark-final.pdf

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)