Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show us your motorcycles
03-14-2013, 19:26
RE: Show us your motorcycles
(03-14-2013 19:00)travelite Wrote:  Outstanding Corey, but how do you know that thing's strong enough? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Well, I got some expert advice Confused, but mainly I relied on the product name "Overbilt". I certainly would have shied away from anything called "Underbilt" or "Bouttafalloff". That's how I roll!Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2013, 10:32
In case anyone is interested, here are some pics of my 1975 R90S Cafe' project. I bought it as a rolling basket case, but it has good bones and had not been overly cannibalized as many R90S are.

Here is what one looks like new and stock. İmage My frame after is is stripped to get powder-coated İmage Engine with correct heads and matching numbers. İmage Dellorto "pumper" 38s were only ever used on the three years of R90S, here are the rebuilt ones with new gaskets, clamps, isolators, fuel pumps, Tomasselli velocity stacks and more. İmage Wheels are unique for this project, they are DID rims laced onto the BMW hubs, rear is increased to 19", an old racer trick for these bikes said to handle better and give more clearance. New Avon tires are same size front and rear. İmage Polishing nearly 40 year old aluminum gets tedious at best. İmage I'm doing something with the body I've not seen done before. Usually these bikes get some form of rear tail made of fiberglass or aluminum. I decided to keep the R90S body work, but shorten it into a solo seat version. First the sub-frame. İmage and then the seat cowl. İmage If you look close you will see the welded splice on the seat cowl where I removed about 6 inches. Additionally, the tank has been relined inside. Finally, here are two bikes I did in the past, one a 1979 Triumph Bonneville Special and the other is the exact same bike I'm doing now. You learn what you like and want each time you do one of these projects, and this time I aim to get it perfect! İmage İmage
03-15-2013, 11:43
Beauties Corey!Big GrinWink I need to see your collection the next time you are showing it off in person....... I'll bring a napkin and PROMISE not to drool on any of them!Wink

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
03-15-2013, 17:41 (This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 19:32 by Richard Selin.)
This was my last bike, a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 that I bought new. It had a big screaming triple for an engine, that makes only the sound a triple can make, with a wide flat torque curve that pulled hard from idle. A real joy to ride.

We had some good trips together, including down to MotoGP at Laguna Seca in 2009 and to the Black Hills in South Dakota, plus numerous trips in BC/AB/SK. I installed an LSL handlebar conversion kit, heated grips, a heated vest plug in by the seat, a Heatroller control for the vest and a hi/lo switch for the grips on the left fairing panel, and a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. I had a top box as well and the cheap fabric stays broke so I made new ones from aircraft cable. It was set up pretty nice.

Last photo is from my MotoGP trip, loaded up for touring in Hopland, California.

It flipped off the lift on the back of my coach on the maiden voyage in May 2010 and was totalled. It was preceded by a 1996 Triumph Sprint 900 triple, a 1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500 twin, and a 1980 Yamaha XT250 enduro.

İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

Calgary AB Canada
1992 SP36
03-15-2013, 19:20
(03-15-2013 17:41)Richard Selin Wrote:  This was my last bike, a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 that I bought new. It had a big screaming triple for an engine, that makes only the sound a triple can make, with a wide flat torque curve that pulled hard from idle. A real joy to ride.

We had some good trips together, including down to MotoGP at Laguna Seca in 2009 and to the Black Hills in South Dakota, plus numerous trips in BC/AB/SK. I installed an LSL handlebar conversion kit, heated grips, a heated vest plug in by the seat, a Heatroller control for the vest and a hi/lo switch for the grips on the left fairing panel, and a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. I had a top box as well and the cheap fabric stays broke so I made new ones from aircraft cable. It was set up pretty nice.

Last photo is from my MotoGP trip, loaded up for touring in Hopland, California.

It flipped off the lift on the back of my coach on the maiden voyage in May 2010 and was totalled. It was predeceased by a 1996 Triumph Sprint 900 triple, a 1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500 twin, and a 1980 Yamaha XT250 enduro.
Oh my! What kind of lift, how did that happen?
03-15-2013, 19:25 (This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 19:27 by davidbrady.)
Corey, I'm just now catching up on this thread. There's no question you're a man of taste and refinement. Triumph Bonneville Special, BMW R90S Cafe Racer, Wanderlodge LXi, what more do I need to say. If you ever need to find a home for that R90S cafe, look no further. That thing is art on wheels and definitely belongs on Skyline Drive at Alices Restaurant in Woodside California! It's not Woody Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant but it might as well be: http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-15-2013, 19:47 (This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 20:00 by Richard Selin.)
(03-15-2013 19:20)gondolaguy Wrote:  Oh my! What kind of lift, how did that happen?

It was a Blue Ox Sport Lift. I bought it from Randy when I bought my coach, and Randy arranged for a welding shop in Gainesville FL to install it. I was basically fed some misinformation and paid big for it.

Contrary to what everybody believes to be Blue Bird "fact", the SP coaches are only rated for 5000 lb towing with 500 lb on the receiver (not the 10,000 lbs some people state when they advertise the SP). The SP should never have had a lift installed in the first place as it put too much weight on the receiver mount. The receiver cross member is bolted, not welded, in-between the C-channels at the back of the coach and the weight (or more correctly the moment arm) of the lift caused this cross member to rotate, which in turn caused the back of the lift to droop toward the ground at an angle, sacrificing ground clearance. This was apparent on the first trip from Florida back to Alberta. I had a shop in Alberta jack up the lift again and retighten the cross member bolts as hard as they could.

When I left Alberta for Montana, the lift bottomed at low-speed on a dip in the road and next thing I knew my bike was being dragged by the straps. I was turning into a diesel shop at the time and only traveling about 15 mph, but it was enough to total it.

I had a self-locking front chock and four-point tie-down, but I didn't have time to install a rear wheel chock (it required drilling through the deck steel, and I didn't have a drill big enough for the job). I think what happened is the jarring force of the lift bottoming caused the bike to lift up momentarily, the handlebars probably twisted from the tension of the tie downs, and it was all she wrote.

The two saving graces were that I had disconnected my toad earlier (long story) so at least the bike didn't fall on the car and total off two vehicles, and that insurance paid me fairly for the value of the bike. But I was out $3k for the installed cost of the lift, which I dumped at a metal scrap yard in Paso Robles.

(03-15-2013 19:25)davidmbrady Wrote:  Corey, I'm just now catching up on this thread. There's no question you're a man of taste and refinement. Triumph Bonneville Special, BMW R90S Cafe Racer, Wanderlodge LXi, what more do I need to say. If you ever need to find a home for that R90S cafe, look no further. That thing is art on wheels and definitely belongs on Skyline Drive at Alices Restaurant in Woodside California! It's not Woody Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant but it might as well be: http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

You mean this place David?

I also found a photo of one of my previous bikes, a 1996 Triumph Sprint 900 triple, at Crater Lake. Both of these photos are from 2005 on my way down to Laguna Seca for the return of MotoGP. I was confused initially because I've gone to Laguna Seca 3 times and I first thought these were from my 1999 trip to see World Superbike.

Calgary AB Canada
1992 SP36
03-15-2013, 20:14 (This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 20:16 by gondolaguy.)
(03-15-2013 19:47)Richard Selin Wrote:  
(03-15-2013 19:20)gondolaguy Wrote:  Oh my! What kind of lift, how did that happen?

It was a Blue Ox Sport Lift. I bought it from Randy when I bought my coach, and Randy arranged for a welding shop in Gainesville FL to install it. I was basically fed some misinformation and paid big for it.

Contrary to what everybody believes to be Blue Bird "fact", the SP coaches are only rated for 5000 lb towing with 500 lb on the receiver (not the 10,000 lbs some people state when they advertise the SP). The SP should never have had a lift installed in the first place as it put too much weight on the receiver mount. The receiver cross member is bolted, not welded, in-between the C-channels at the back of the coach and the weight (or more correctly the moment arm) of the lift caused this cross member to rotate, which in turn caused the back of the lift to droop toward the ground at an angle, sacrificing ground clearance. This was apparent on the first trip from Florida back to Alberta. I had a shop in Alberta jack up the lift again and retighten the cross member bolts as hard as they could.

When I left Alberta for Montana, the lift bottomed at low-speed on a dip in the road and next thing I knew my bike was being dragged by the straps. I was turning into a diesel shop at the time and only traveling about 15 mph, but it was enough to total it.

I had a self-locking front chock and four-point tie-down, but I didn't have time to install a rear wheel chock (it required drilling through the deck steel, and I didn't have a drill big enough for the job). I think what happened is the jarring force of the lift bottoming caused the bike to lift up momentarily, the handlebars probably twisted from the tension of the tie downs, and it was all she wrote.

The two saving graces were that I had disconnected my toad earlier (long story) so at least the bike didn't fall on the car and total off two vehicles, and that insurance paid me fairly for the value of the bike. But I was out $3k for the installed cost of the lift, which I dumped at a metal scrap yard in Paso Robles.

(03-15-2013 19:25)davidmbrady Wrote:  Corey, I'm just now catching up on this thread. There's no question you're a man of taste and refinement. Triumph Bonneville Special, BMW R90S Cafe Racer, Wanderlodge LXi, what more do I need to say. If you ever need to find a home for that R90S cafe, look no further. That thing is art on wheels and definitely belongs on Skyline Drive at Alices Restaurant in Woodside California! It's not Woody Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant but it might as well be: http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

You mean this place David?

I also found a photo of one of my previous bikes, a 1996 Triumph Sprint 900 triple, at Crater Lake. Both of these photos are from 2005 on my way down to Laguna Seca for the return of MotoGP. I was confused initially because I've gone to Laguna Seca 3 times and I first thought these were from my 1999 trip to see World Superbike.
That's a sad story, hate to see a bike get killed that way....or any way. Glad you had insurance. Now it paves the way for your new BMWBig GrinBig Grin

I hope my KTM doesn't read this post, being left out will hurt its feelingsShyRolleyesShyRolleyesShyRolleyes
03-16-2013, 15:07
I can't believe all you Wanderlodge guys ride and love those funny looking motorcycles. It makes us Hardly Davidson boys feel like poor country cousins.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
03-17-2013, 10:04
I love those HDs too. Tempted to buy a Street Glide.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)