Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toad Braking systems
01-31-2008, 10:22
Toad Braking systems
I have an SMI system in my Toyota Camry. I've towed it for over 12,000 miles last year. The SMI system has been reliable and generally satisfactory. I've twice had it not release the brakes when desired (but the in-cab signal alerted me to the problem before any damage to my toad brakes occurred). Both lock ups occurred on steep downgrades, so I presume that had something to do with it. (In both cases, I simply turned the SMI off until my next rest stop.)

With my coach, it doesn't ever seem like the supplemental braking system does very much. I've adjusted the "sensitivity" of the deceleration sensor to the lowest setting (least sensitive) so that the supplemental braking only kicks in when a quicker stop is involved. (I'd prefer it to only kick in for true "emergency" stops, but with the minimum sensitivity it still comes on for many braking situations that are far short of a panic stop.)

Frankly, the performance of my coach does not seem to be much affected by the presence of the toad. I never feel any effect in acceleration or stopping (and there have been a few times when I'd completely forgotten to turn on the SMI system). However, in California, the law requires having a supplemental braking system on any "towed vehicle" over 1500 lbs.

The SMI system is satisfactory to me. It's relatively simple to install. The model I have is out of the way. The "box" fits under the driver's seat -- it might interfere with the tow space for a rear-seat passenger, but since I'm tall, no one ever sits behind me anyway. The device that activates the brake is a small vacuum-activated cylinder that clamps to the pedal arm and pulls on a small cable attached to the firewall. It's above the place where your toes will ever wander, so it's not at all in the way. The only thing I'd do differently  is that I'd put the on-off switch in a slightly different location that that I selected -- it's near a kick panel by the driver's door and I sometimes brush it with my foot getting in-out of the car, turning the system on or off. It doesn't create any problems being on or off (when not in actual use) but I made a poor choice of position for it.

The primary reason I selected the SMI is that it uses the power braking system in the car (by providing vacuum to activate the power brake) so that it does not apply excessive stress to the mechanical components of the system. (Well, that's what their sales material said.) Seems to work effectively. If I had it to do over again -- I'd use 'em again.

Note: It appears that, with some slight hassle, the unit can be uninstalled and moved to another vehicle, if desired. 
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Jan 30, 2008, at 9:03 PM, Jim Riordan wrote:

I have a 88 wbwl 
I recently enlarged my family and now cneed to tow a larger vehicle, a 
suburban. I am trying to evaluate what aux braking system will work 
best with my BB. M&G SMI or some other system 
I would love to hear what experiance others have had with aux braking 
systems
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Toad Braking systems - Jim Riordan - 01-30-2008, 17:03
Toad Braking systems - birdshill123 - 01-31-2008, 01:02
Toad Braking systems - Pete Masterson - 01-31-2008 10:22
Toad Braking systems - Tom McCarthy - 01-31-2008, 13:18
Toad Braking systems - Ross MacKillop - 01-31-2008, 13:25
Toad Braking systems - Gregory OConnor - 01-31-2008, 15:17
Toad Braking systems - PM7088@... - 02-01-2008, 03:24
Toad Braking systems - Ross MacKillop - 02-01-2008, 05:24
Toad Braking systems - Pete Masterson - 02-01-2008, 08:16

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)