Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures
02-21-2008, 13:28
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures
Probably true. I'd take a look at aircraft fire suppression systems to see what they use, since such systems work with a _lot_ of airflow.

OTOH, I'm not convinced that an engine fire is all that likely. Some decent sensors should be sufficient. It's a balance of the cost of the event vs. the chance that it would happen. Of course, chances for an individual are 100% or 0% and none of us want to be in the 100% group. 

Careful inspection of the vehicle and systems may actually be a better way to avoid problems. It might be more cost effective, for example, to spend the money on a new radiator core (thereby avoiding an overheating incident that leads to a fire) rather than spending the money on a fire suppression system. 

Blue Birds are pretty safe vehicles. Since they're all (or mostly) steel, the chance of the fiberglas burning (which it does with a vengeance, once started) isn't an issue. I saw photos a year or two back of a 'bird that had an exhaust fire. (The coach was for sale on eBay as a salvage vehicle, as I recall.) Serious damage, to be sure, but one that appeared repairable by a dedicated owner/builder -- but I'm sure the insurance company didn't appreciate paying for the loss. I imagine that the vehicle was "totaled" since the cost of repair was probably more than the vehicle was worth -- but that's an insurance determination -- not an issue of practicality. (I'm sure one of the bus nuts that would do a home-conversion might have found that coach a great starting point for a half-done conversion.)
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Feb 21, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Ryan Wright wrote:

Which basically leaves dry powder. I was going to mention halon or CO2
but I can't see them being the least bit effective - you'd have to
shut the engine down and come to a complete stop before activating the
system. Otherwise, there's too much air being pulled through there.
-Ryan
On 2/21/08, Pete Masterson <"aeonix1@mac.com"> wrote:
 Since an engine fire is likely to involve grease, oil, and fuel, water will tend to spread the fire (as these materials float on water). Dry powder, Halon, CO2 or other chemical extinguishers will smother the fire (cut off the air supply) and are preferred.
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
    "WanderlodgeForum-digest@yahoogroups.com" 
    "WanderlodgeForum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com"
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    "WanderlodgeForum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com"
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - gulfquest2 - 02-20-2008, 09:05
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Gary Smith - 02-20-2008, 09:51
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Pete Masterson - 02-20-2008, 10:34
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Ryan Wright - 02-21-2008, 07:11
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Pete Masterson - 02-21-2008, 09:28
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Ryan Wright - 02-21-2008, 12:27
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Gary Smith - 02-21-2008, 12:59
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Pete Masterson - 02-21-2008 13:28
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Gregory OConnor - 02-21-2008, 14:34
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Ryan Wright - 02-22-2008, 06:25
Engine/Generator Bay Operating Temperatures - Pete Masterson - 02-22-2008, 06:41

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)