Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Driver License's Requirements for Motorhomes over 26,500 lbs empty weight
05-09-2008, 08:01
Texas Driver License's Requirements for Motorhomes over 26,500 lbs empty weight
I just had a hell of a time getting an inspection on my 1995 WLWB 42 footer, empty weight 43,800 lbs. At first the grease monkey in charge told me that I had to have a DOT inspection because of its weight being over 26,500 lbs an dhe was refusing to do the inspection. I stood my ground and told him that if he was going to refuse to inspect it I wanted to know what authority he was using for that refusal. Well that sort of got his attention and he decided to call and find out. He called about 4 different places and most of them told him it was a regular inspection costing $14.50. Well somewhere along the way he called the State police and he got in on it claiming that I had to have a DOT inspection, but I stood my ground on my ascertion that it was a regular inspection requirement because it was a non-commercial vehicle. Well the State Police officer called at least two places and got the answer that sided with my ascertion. I told
him that I wanted to know the statute that he was using as authority for not giving me an inspection and that triggered him to call Austin DPS headquarters and they told him that it was only a regular inspection. Well that settled it and a disgruntled mechanic had to do the inspection and it was obvious that eating crow was not his favorite thing.

Now though here is the kicker, the State Police officer told me that I had to have a Class B, CDL license because it was over 26,500 lbs. You Texas boys and girls out there that have been driving RV's for awhile, is this true and if not can you tell me what authority it is that states that a Class B, CDL license is not required and if it is required then I would like to know what statute give authority to require that.

Thanks I will wait for your answers.

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
1995 WLWB 42'Blue Bird
(cockyfox@...)
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Texas Driver License's Requirements for Motorhomes over 26,500 lbs empty weight - Ron Thompson - 05-09-2008 08:01

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)