Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re-plumbing a 79 bird
05-12-2008, 07:22
re-plumbing a 79 bird
That would be PEX -- not fex...
My coach is much newer, so it's not quite the same issue. Essentially, you connect an adapter to the existing plumbing, then install the PEX as needed. Copper to PEX fittings may be available from a local home center (but they're tough to come by in my area).
I got some needed connections online at PEX Connection
PEX Connection offers a variety of copper and plastic components.
Since my coach was originally plumbed with Polybutylene (gray plastic), their "Flair-It" connecters were a major help. Usually with PEX you need to use a special crimping tube, but the Flair-It connectors allow you to tighten them with regular pliers and they can be removed without cutting the tubing.
The only hint is to be sure to leave extra tubing in the runs to allow for expansion/contraction. It sometimes takes extra space since 'proper' 90-degree turns should be made with a loop in the opposite direction of the corner. That is, if you're making a 90-degree turn to the right, make a loop to the left and come back across the inbound piece of tubing at a 90-degree crossing, this leaves a loop that can take up the stresses as the water flows and is turned on and off. I note that with 3/4" tubing, such turns take a fair amount of space -- but most of the work can probably be done with 1/2" tubing.
Good luck -- take photos and post them when you're done.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On May 12, 2008, at 10:46 AM, mikconleys wrote:

Hi Folks,
Anyone have any experience in re-plumbing a 79 31ft rear bath from 
copper to fex?  I am more than willing to accept advice.
Mike Conley
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
re-plumbing a 79 bird - mikconleys - 05-12-2008, 05:46
re-plumbing a 79 bird - Pete Masterson - 05-12-2008 07:22
re-plumbing a 79 bird - Dorn Hetzel - 05-12-2008, 07:29
re-plumbing a 79 bird - Terry Neal - 05-12-2008, 08:28
re-plumbing a 79 bird - Wilhelmus Schreurs - 05-12-2008, 11:24

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)