Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel leak in lower compartment
02-07-2009, 05:44
Diesel leak in lower compartment
The most likely source of the diesel leak is from the AquaHot. It's the silver box in the basement on the street side about the middle of the coach. The AquaHot provides heat and hot water to the coach interior. It has an electric heating element (for low demand) and a diesel burner (for higher demand) situations. The diesel burner is controlled by a switch labeled "hydronic heat" on the dashboard. When the switch is off (no green light) then the diesel burner won't come on.
The fuel line runs from the fuel tank through the water/sewer hook up area (where on my coach, behind a door, is a small Racor (brand) fuel filter) and then along the back wall of the next compartment (forward of the water service area) to the forward end of the silver box, entering on the back side. There is a second fuel filter inside the silver box which requires removing the service access panel (the end portion of the silver box) to see. (The whole end, top, and 2 sides come off the silver box with the removal of several screws.) You can download a service manual from the Aqua-Hot web site and/or possibly from the files area of this list.
You should locate the fuel line for the AquaHot and examine it carefully. It's most likely that a fuel leak (causing the problems you describe) would be near the burner or the the filter inside the A-H unit. If the Racor is located in the same place on your coach as it is on mine, a leak there would probably not enter the forward cargo area.
Do note, that diesel fumes may spread through the cargo area (from the A-H) but they should never be in a quantity that noticeable condensation or dripping should occur. But, be sure that all air vents into the A-H are open and not blocked by other items inside the cargo bays. (Some WLs after my year have an external air vent to the A-H for combustion air -- that vent also needs to be checked to ensure that there are no blockages.)
As for the diesel bath --- that does not indicate a completely full tank!!! It only indicates that sufficient air was trapped below the filler tube to cause a "burp." On occasion, I've experienced a burp after only putting in 15-20 gallons. More often, after the burp comes, I can put another 25 or 30 gallons into the tank (at a minimum fill rate) -- that's nearly 10% of capacity.
The burping problem occurs when fuel entering the tank foams and blocks the air displaced by the fuel from exiting. While the ultimate solution to this long-standing problem would be a significantly improved fuel tank vent (and I'll never know why one wasn't implemented in the design), the easiest solution is to wrap a rag around the fuel dispenser nozzle to keep the fuel from spewing so dramatically. I've found that (also) lifting the rear of the dispenser nozzle, to direct the incoming fuel along the bottom of the filler tube, tends to reduce/eliminate the burping problem. If using the commercial lanes in a truck stop (with the high speed pumps) filling at the lowest notch setting also reduces the burp tendency.
While I usually avoid the RV lanes (at Flying J, mostly) because they often have difficult maneuvers required to enter and leave, I've found that the lower speed pump delivery (on the RV pump) tends to cause less of a burping problem if you also lift the nozzle and wrap the rag...
Also, I've learned to stand to one side of the filler while putting fuel into the tank.
Note: If, after a fill up, the rag I used is heavily soaked, I'll dispose of it. Take care in storing diesel-soaked rags, as they can be a fire danger, especially since "oil-soaked rags" are a possible source of spontaneous combustion if other conditions are right.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (For Sale)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Feb 6, 2009, at 9:37 PM, mgayle4 wrote:

Hi, folks. My first post here.

Recently my mother bought a '96 42' WLWB. There has always been a bit
of diesel odor in the lower compartment. Lately there has been a film
of diesel on the overhead panels of the cargo area, as well as a
diesel sheen over everything in the compartment.

I will have to admit that I took a "diesel bath" when I refilled the
tank after our last outing in the coach, but I cannot find any way
that the overflow could have gotten into the cargo area. Also, we
cleaned the entire compartment with hot water and soap, only to have
the diesel re-accumulate.

The diesel collects in the channel along the inner walls that surround
the LP tank and main fuel tank, and drains back and drips onto the
ground at the back of the cargo area on both sides.

I have removed the upper panel above the sliding cargo platform and
everything up there was dry, as well as everything inside the LP tank
access panel. I cannot find any leak on the diesel hoses/tubing
running to the AquaHot unit either.

I am at wit's end with trying to find the source of this diesel. I
will add that the fuel tank is full. It was filled to the "bathing
level" (hehe) less than 10 miles from my house.

Any insights or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Martin Gayle
Las Vegas, NV
'96 WLWB 42'

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WanderlodgeForum/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WanderlodgeForum/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
"WanderlodgeForum-digest@yahoogroups.com"
"WanderlodgeForum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com"

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
"WanderlodgeForum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com"

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Diesel leak in lower compartment - mgayle4 - 02-06-2009, 17:37
Diesel leak in lower compartment - GARY MINKER - 02-07-2009, 03:17
Diesel leak in lower compartment - timvasqz - 02-07-2009, 04:17
Diesel leak in lower compartment - Fred Hulse - 02-07-2009, 05:04
Diesel leak in lower compartment - Pete Masterson - 02-07-2009 05:44
Diesel leak in lower compartment - Eric Perplies - 02-07-2009, 13:22
Diesel leak in lower compartment - mgayle4 - 02-07-2009, 18:36
Diesel leak in lower compartment - timvasqz - 02-10-2009, 03:06
Diesel leak in lower compartment - timvasqz - 02-12-2009, 13:42
Diesel leak in lower compartment - Eric Perplies - 02-12-2009, 16:47

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)