Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the reason for the left front shock mount failures on 90's buses?
03-10-2009, 13:46
What is the reason for the left front shock mount failures on 90's buses?
Eric,
I was at CCW Riverside the end of May 2008. When did you have your mount fixed?
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (For Sale)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Mar 10, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Eric Perplies wrote:

I do believe that one of the issues with the failure on the shock mounts is the quality/mass of the steel in the frame of the coach. The center of the upper left shock mount is about 2"- 3" from the edge of the modestly thick frame. The webs or gussets on my coach had to be turned in the "hold water" position to keep them from projecting above the frame member. I didn't measure the thickness of the frame steel but I would guess it's 1/4" +/-. But even if the problem is the location/thickness of the upper mount it doesn't answer the question about why this failure has ALWAYS happened on the left shock mount.

The right shock mount is built the same way. The right shock mount should be extended even more because of the camber in the road coupled with the leveling system on the bus. Finally, road damage is typically much more prevalent on the right side of the road. What's up with the left side??

Just too make my previous discussion complete. (My post on the Don's shock mount post 'disappeared'. A regular occurrence for me on this site.) When CCW repaired my upper shock mount they welded a 1/2" x 6" x 8" plate to the damaged area on my frame. They drilled a hole in the plate to accommodate the air line. They were on the telephone a lot with Ft Valley engineers discussing the problem. It took them 4 days of telephone conversations before they started the work. But it was very difficult to get CCW to relate what there discussions were except to say "we were trying to find out from Ft Valley how to repair the problem."

Eric Perplies
96' 42' WBWL
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What is the reason for the left front shock mount failures on 90's buses? - Pete Masterson - 03-10-2009 13:46

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)