Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the reason for the left front shock mount failures on 90's buses?
03-11-2009, 05:04
What is the reason for the left front shock mount failures on 90's buses?
My shock was apparently in good working order. However, when the shock mount failed, it bent the upper end of the shock (where it attaches to the mount), and we had to install a new shock.
Judging from the apparent age and condition of the shocks on the coach, I suspect the previous owner might have replaced them shortly after he acquired the coach. (The PO full-timed in it for about 2+ years before moving to a coach with slides...)
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (For Sale)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Mar 10, 2009, at 7:00 PM, Eric Perplies wrote:

First, CCW repaired my upper left shock mount in February of 08. This was the first one that they repaired.

While at CCW we did thoroughly inspect the right front shock mount. It sure looked identical to my left shock mount. Dimensionally, I can't be sure. After all when you measure the shock mount I don't have a clue what you measure it with respect to. I had both shocks replaced and there was no damage at all to the right shock mount nor to the shock absorber.

One important factor that I neglected to mention. My left front shock what shot when I found the failed shock mount. It could be compressed only with the greatest of effort. If hitting a hole had caused my left shock absorber to fail that certainly could have been a significant factor in the failure. That singularity would have eventually caused the piece of material on my frame to fail. It is still the chicken or the egg question: If the shock failed first what would have caused the neck of the shock to have bent? I'll see if I can find my photos of the damage, then I see if I can figure out how to post those pictures. You'll be able to see the "tweaked" neck on the shock.

I wonder, did you others have a broken shock absorber when you found the damaged shock mount?

I'm sure you are right Dave. The part that failed on my rig may well have been made by Ridewell. It probably is inaccurate to call it the frame. (Although it sure looks like the frame to me, LOL.) Thanks for recommending doing a search on "Shock mount". Over the last several years I probably have read all of them.

Eric Perlies
96' 42' WBWL

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What is the reason for the left front shock mount failures on 90's buses? - Pete Masterson - 03-11-2009 05:04

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)