Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loose steering
07-24-2009, 05:50
loose steering
The basic design of the steering used in Wanderlodges is somewhat less precise than other common designs. Clearly, this is not sports car steering. However, wear and alignment issues can cause excess play in the system.
For example, when I had some troubles with my steering (turned out it was a bent and jammed steering damper installed by the previous owner) it was found that I had excessive play in the tie-rod ends on the drag link due to wear. (The drag link connects the steering gear to the cross-rod that actually turns the wheels.)
However, even after I had the drag link replaced and the steering damper upgraded, there are still situations where the steering is troubled by road irregularities. The biggest problem I've encountered is withthedepressionscausedbyexcessroadwearinareaswherechainsarefrequentlyused.Thes​edepressionsareusuallyless-widethatthecoach,butthey'llcauseoneside,thentheothertobepulledintothegrooveforci​ngmeto"fight"thesteering.
Likewise,thetypical2"ridgecausedbyanewlayerofasphaltissomethingthat'sgoingtoupsetthesteering.
Inotethatthesepavementirregularitiesalsoaffectthesteeringinmostvehicles--notjustaWL.
IsuggestcallingHendersonLine-UpinGrantsPassORandgetareferraltooneoftheirdealers(Hendersonsisthemanufacturerof​theSafe-T-Plussteeringdampersystem)andhaveyoursteeringandalignmentchecked.Youmayhavesomewe​arissues--oritmaysimplybethatpavementirregularitiesarecausingtheproblemandthere'snotmuchth​atcanbedone.
Italsodependsonhowexperiencedyouarewiththecoach.NewerBBdriverstendtoover-correctbecausethecoachtakeslongertorespondtosteeringinputthansmallervehicles.Thi​scausesapatternofcorrectionsandcorrectionstocorrectionsthatresultinsteeringoscil​lations-- that with driving experience will fade away.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"
My coach is for sale: see http://www.aeonix.com/bbforsale.html

On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:08 AM, williamcharrison wrote:

I don't know how much "wander" there normally is in a Wanderlodge but
I have noticed my steering is a little loose especially on highway stretches where they have partially repaved a lane. My question is
there any easy way to tighten up the steering?

Chuck Harrison
Akron, Ohio
90 SP36

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
loose steering - williamcharrison - 07-24-2009, 03:08
loose steering - freewill2008 - 07-24-2009, 05:03
loose steering - Pete Masterson - 07-24-2009 05:50
loose steering - Chuck Wheeler - 07-24-2009, 08:34
loose steering - freewill2008 - 07-24-2009, 09:05
loose steering - freewill2008 - 07-24-2009, 09:13
loose steering - ronmarabito2002 - 07-24-2009, 10:38
loose steering - Chuck Wheeler - 07-24-2009, 12:00

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)