Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low Bridges
08-04-2009, 17:49
Low Bridges
There's Burning Man, which takes place in the Black Rock Desert NE of Reno every year the week before Labor Day for 9 days. It attracts 50,000 people and some amazingly huge art and camps. Quite overwhelming in some ways. But people travel there from all over the world and have formed communities of "burners" in their hometowns. It ranges from El Paso where there are about 10 people to Seattle with 8,000 and of course San Francisco where it originated with an estimated 20,000. So in the larger communities it's possible to participate in an event of some kind almost every week and to fill your time with music and art, creativity and community action. Our project is called 52 Week Burn and we are videotaping, interviewing participants, and creating videos of these
local events as we attend them, with the plan of showing them to the attendees at the big event in Black Rock later this month. We carry a 15' tall by 30' wide aluminum truss system for a video screen on top of our PT-40, along with a 16' tall illuminated cactus and other art pieces. (See the tie-in to why a Bluebird is so great for us! - just trying to stay on-topic).

The parks have been wonderful. It's so heartening to realize what an absolutely beauitiful country we live in (including our neighbors in Canada for that praise as well). We are so fortunate to have a system and people that, for the most part, respect the beauty of our planet and preserve it for us and our children.

And the nudist thing has been a pasttime of ours for 28 years. Lots of nudist parks are great campgrounds with really warm residents and visitors. But, like Burning Man, it isn't for everybody! We have run into a
few Bluebird owners at them, though! It's an unwritten law that you don't "out" a fellow nudist, so I won't reveal who in this venue. But we're in the open about all that we do, believing that America values non-destructive self-expression and individual liberties, and that hiding behind (clothes, money, whatever...) basically says you're ashamed of who you are. I'm an American, I'm liberal, I'm a nudist, a Bluebird owner, believe in freedom of marriage for all, believe in self-expression, think that rampant consumerism is hurting us, a musician, artist and philosopher, and I'm proud of all that. Oh, and I vote too...

Gosh, I know this was a diversion from our normal programming, but Tim, you practically invited me to comment. Please, everybody, I hope we can not turn this into another long dialog about politics or personal beliefs. I so much appreciate this forum and its members, and though I've
met only a few of you I completely respect your rights and activities, and hope to meet many more of you soon. Curt is encouraging us to make it to one of the rallies soon - if we're not too far away we might even make this October's SW rally. But it will be a last minute thing. (I promise NOT to show up naked...)

Greg of Greg & Barbara
in Kalispell MT
86 PT-40
Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.
-Kirpal Venanji

WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:38:50 PM
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Low Bridges

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", Greg Young wrote:

I didn't know there was other Burningman events? I would love to visit a bunch of National parks but the nudist venu would only prove me to be a liar.

Greg of Tim&Greg

94ptca

> Greg

> Halfway through a six month tour of the continent trying to hit as many Burning Man events, National Parks and Nudist Camps as possible!

> Currently Kalispell MT

> 1986 PT-40

>

> Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.

> -Kirpal Venanji

>

>

>

>

> ____________ _________ _________ __

> From: trekkersmith1

> To: "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com"

> Sent: Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:45:10 PM

> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Low Bridges

>

>

> Morey,

> My Streetpilot 7200 doesn't have ability to plan for clearances, or even alert for them, as far as I can tell. I do have that feature with my Delorme Road Atlas using one of the DiscoveryOwnersGrou p add-in files. Can you give more specifics?

> Thanks,

> Gary

> SOB

> bbirdmaps #66

>

> --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, "Morey Zuber" wrote:

> >

> > We purchased a Garmin Streetpilot 7200 (7" screen built for truckers and RVers) on Amazon for $428. It has a vehicle setting for trucks or buses, which protects from low bridges. Sits on dash with a bean bag and visible to driver & copilot.

> >

> > MoreyZ

> > 99LXi

> > Fulltiming from Green Cove Springs, FL

> > Current Location http://www.bbirdmaps.com/ Location 168

> >

>

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Low Bridges - o_jon.mills_o - 08-02-2009, 04:48
Low Bridges - mbulriss - 08-02-2009, 05:54
Low Bridges - Morey Zuber - 08-02-2009, 09:18
Low Bridges - trekkersmith1 - 08-02-2009, 10:45
Low Bridges - Rick Davis - 08-03-2009, 05:30
Low Bridges - Gregory OConnor - 08-03-2009, 12:40
Low Bridges - Greg Young - 08-03-2009, 17:40
Low Bridges - whistles_n_bells - 08-03-2009, 18:40
Low Bridges - Chuck Wheeler - 08-04-2009, 02:09
Low Bridges - Bill Garamella - 08-04-2009, 03:39
Low Bridges - timvasqz - 08-04-2009, 14:38
Low Bridges - timvasqz - 08-04-2009, 14:49
Low Bridges - Greg Young - 08-04-2009 17:49
Low Bridges - Elliot - 08-05-2009, 02:35
Low Bridges - Terry Neal - 08-05-2009, 07:46
Low Bridges - Dan and Cindy Sunderland - 08-05-2009, 13:19
Low Bridges - Al Scudder - 08-07-2009, 10:14
Low Bridges - Leroy A. Eckert - 08-09-2009, 08:35

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)