Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cold weather operation
01-05-2010, 08:24
cold weather operation
I found that the Aqua-Hot engine preheat would warm up the engine in 90 minutes to 2 hours. (Down to about 10 degrees during the night. It might take a little longer for even colder temperatures.)
On the night before a planned travel day, I'd turn on the block heater when we went to bed. (If I remembered--the A-H based engine preheat doesn't really need the block heater.) The next morning, about 6 am (for a planned 8 Am departure) I'd turn on the engine preheat (with hydronic heat switch ON). By 8 Am the temperature gauge would often be off the 'post' showing a temp of ~80~100 degrees.
The DD S-60 would start up like it was a 70 degree day.... first try, no coughing, sputter, etc.
Pete Masterson
(former) '95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Jan 5, 2010, at 6:33 AM, brad barton wrote:

Mike,
So many people scared me about the complexities and reliablities of hydronic heating, but I found out that they had experience using products other than AquaHot. We had no trouble and no maintenance issues with our AquaHot system in our 2000 LXi whatsoever. As soon as I understood how it worked with on engine-heat, electric and the diesel burner, and which switches and thermostats contolled various things (including engine preheat), I did okay. I think you'll really like the way it keeps your coach, your basement, your engine and your water all hot in winter conditions. Very comfortable and worry-free.
Just remember, the diesel boiler switch (hydronic) for the coach is on the dashboard and the hydronic pre-heat for the engine is over the driver's window.
Block-heater is the lighted red switchbehind the tipout in front of the kitchen sink.
ElectricAquaHot switch is theHot Water breaker in the back.
Brad

"bbartonwx@hotmail.com"

To:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:43:53 +0000
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] cold weather operation

I live in Deerwood, just east of Brainerd. I've never run the 78 FC33 in the winter except to move it for snowplowing. Quartzite has tempted me for years. Now it looks like we might make it in the newer 99 LXi43. I don't have a good feel for the winter capabilities of the Bird. I really appreciate all your advice about the tanks and basement.

Mike Kneeland
99 LXi43
78 FC33

--- In"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", Wayne Kotila ...> wrote:
>
> Mike what part of Minnesota are you from, we are from a little west of Mpls. and yes the weather has been very cold. You could turn your basement thermostate up to compensateÂin caseÂthere are any areas in the basement that don't get good air flow and run cooler.
>
> Wayne
> 96WB42Â
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Mike .>
> To:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
> Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 7:58:33 PM
> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] cold weather operation
>
> Â
> How low can the outside temperature be and still keep the fresh water tank from freezing while driving down the road in a 99 Lxi? We want to get to Quartzite without "drying camping" for the first few days out of Minnesota. Temps this morning were -30. We're hoping for the 20's by the time we leave next week.
> Mike Kneeland
> 99 Lxi 43
> 78 FC33
>

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection.Sign up now.

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
cold weather operation - Mike - 01-04-2010, 13:58
cold weather operation - brad barton - 01-04-2010, 14:11
cold weather operation - Pete Masterson - 01-04-2010, 14:42
cold weather operation - Wayne Kotila - 01-04-2010, 18:17
cold weather operation - Mike - 01-05-2010, 01:43
cold weather operation - brad barton - 01-05-2010, 02:33
cold weather operation - Pete Masterson - 01-05-2010 08:24
cold weather operation - Rob Robinson - 01-05-2010, 14:26
cold weather operation - Wayne Kotila - 01-05-2010, 17:26
cold weather operation - luckyron1 - 01-05-2010, 22:19

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)