Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacement fridge for '80s PT
09-02-2010, 11:34
Replacement fridge for '80s PT
ps- I had to move the shelf up on the top cabinet. To make the refer stable,, I installed that shelf tight against the top of refer. You will still have some air space on the bottom of the unit and I stuffed some carpet padding in there to keep out cold air. The location, with the louvers and even if you have a piece of cardboard still has plenty of room for ventilation.

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge
Weatherford, Tx 817-475-3991

--- On Thu, 9/2/10, mrkane1952 <mrkane@...> wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Replacement fridge for '80s PT
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, September 2, 2010, 6:22 PM

Ernie:

What brand is yours? Is it quiet?

If you stop at Colaw's, look for a louvered radiator side cover for my '87 8V, please. (Its a bit longer than your 6V.)

You should probably fill up on diesel in Joplin. It was cheapest there when I went thru a couple weeks ago in my pick-up.

I'm trying to find a residential fridge cheap in a Labor Day sale somewhere here in the UP area. I think I have enough tools aboard to handle minor mods to the surrounding cabinet.

--M.R.Kane
'87 PT40
currently Iron River, MI

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Ernie Ekberg wrote:
>
> Mike, I don't know if you saw my residential type, but I had to modify the cabinet above that. This is a doable project and
should take a day to complete. I don't know if your original can wait till Nov, when I'll be home?
> If you are in freezing temps- believe me Montana was brutal- I put a trouble lite in that compartment with a piece of cardboard over the vented door.
> Ernie- currently posting at the expensive and darn well worth it KOA, Joplin, Mo
>
>
> Ernie Ekberg
> 83PT40
> Wanderlodge
> Weatherford, Tx 817-475-3991
> http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
>
> --- On Thu, 9/2/10, mrkane1952 <mrkane@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: mrkane1952 <mrkane@...>
> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Replacement fridge for '80s PT
> To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Thursday, September 2, 2010,
11:39 AM
>
>
> Â
>
>
>
> Greetings All:
>
> The original Dometic RM3801 refrigerator in my coach is failing. I full-time in my coach, and do not boondock for extended periods. (I have medications which need refrigeration.)
>
> The overall condition and age of the RM3801 makes replacement of the cooling unit impractical, IMO. No currently available absorption unit is the same size, so some reworking of the cabinet will be necessary whichever the type of replacement. Therefore, due to cost considerations, I have been considering a household refrigerator replacement. (These are around 1/3 the cost of an absorption unit, and 1/5--1/8 (!!) the cost of a Danfoss compressor unit.)
>
> In my coach the black-tank vent is near the outside edge of the compartment behind the fridge, which limits the depth of possible replacements. Similarly, the width is bounded by the
dinette area bench and overhead bins, and the bathroom. The floor of the compartment above the current unit can be raised several inches.
>
> I've found three units which are similar in size, but generally a bit taller than the original. They are Whirlpool ET0MSRXTD (9.7 cu ft,) Frigidaire FFPT10F0KW (9.9 cu ft,) and a GE GTR10HAXRWW (9.9 cu ft.) Anyone have experience with these or other recommendations?
>
> The rear of the fridge will be exposed to outside ambient temperatures. What is needed in near-freezing, or lower, temperatures? High ambient? Some units have the coils on the back of the box, others under the cabinet. It would seem easier to install the latter, but are there other concerns?
>
> Any hints about removal and installation?
>
> Thanks--
>
> M.R.Kane
> '87 PT40
> currently Iron River, MI
>

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Replacement fridge for '80s PT - mrkane1952 - 09-02-2010, 04:39
Replacement fridge for '80s PT - Ernie Ekberg - 09-02-2010, 09:35
Replacement fridge for '80s PT - mrkane1952 - 09-02-2010, 11:22
Replacement fridge for '80s PT - Ernie Ekberg - 09-02-2010, 11:30
Replacement fridge for '80s PT - Ernie Ekberg - 09-02-2010 11:34
Replacement fridge for '80s PT - mrkane1952 - 09-11-2010, 10:45
Replacement fridge for '80s PT - Ernie Ekberg - 09-11-2010, 10:53

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)