Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Cambridge Crude
11-04-2013, 11:58 (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 12:26 by travelite.)
RE: Cambridge Crude
It is promising technology John! I'd like to read the research paper but I'm too cheap to pay the $35 they want. As the news-blip says flow cell battery technology isn't new but using nanotechnology to create a semi-solid flow with suspended anodes and cathodes is. The bane of battery powered vehicles is weight and recharge times. This technology can address both. The recharge time is as simple as filling your battery (gas tank) with a newly charged batch of black goo!

Energy storage technology like this is the future. We need high efficiency and high density storage and power delivery, Lithium ion batteries are 99% efficient - way better than the 40% we get from hydrogen fuel cells. Hydrogen can pack the energy but it takes huge volume and it's dangerous to generate, distribute and carry. In both cases we use large scale remote power generation stations, either for hydrogen generation or for black goo direct energy storage. Hydrogen is an energy storage medium, but black goo beats it with regards to efficiency and likely safety.

I may break down and buy the paper - this is intensely interesting!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Cambridge Crude - davidbrady - 11-03-2013, 22:06
RE: Cambridge Crude - Arcticdude - 11-03-2013, 23:24
RE: Cambridge Crude - davidbrady - 11-04-2013 11:58

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)