Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lone Star Birds Christmas Rally
12-11-2013, 12:16 (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 12:33 by pgchin.)
RE: Lone Star Birds Christmas Rally
(12-10-2013 13:58)timetravelers Wrote:  I installed the same ATS as Corey, but am not happy with it. It drops out one leg of the generator when the AC put the starting load on the line.
Interesting, there may be more "causes" then just the ATS since this new ATS you used has surge protection built in:
1) The one leg of the genny actually may be "surging" over the logic boards design point and you need to address the genny issue of 1 leg surging too much and the ATS is doing its job by dropping the 1 over surging leg. This could be anything from the genny head itself, the voltage regulator, loose wiring in the box mounted on the genny head, etc.
2) Loose wiring during the install in the ATS itself, loose cables to the logic board, etc.
3) The logic board (top right in Coreys pics) actually may be defective and there is nothing wrong with the genny leg surging. If this is the case, then I am sure the MFG wil stand behind it and get you a new board ( I would hope!Big Grin)
FWIW all genny's surge some on power up, be thankful for the surge protection of your new ATS because if the genny truly is over surging on that leg and you did NOT have that new ATS and had the old one like me AND you have sensitive electrical equipment plugged into that line, then it will be Toast on genny power up!Big Grin DO NOT ask me how I know this!!!! It was the dreaded story of the blown logic board (blown AC input rectifier bridge on the chiller's board) on my wine chiller while on vacation last summer in MI.....in my trip notes in another thread! Now THAT WAS truly an issue (warm wine)...... temp fix.... sticking 16 bottles of MI vineyards best into my two other fridges waiting for a new board to ship and eating out for the interim (LEO)! What fun, remove wine chiller, disassemble on outside picnic table, solder in new board, test outside,reassemble, reinstall, THIS TIME, with an AC switch so I can turn it OFF before I start the genny, then back on!!!!!!! Of course deplete the bottle count during the job! :-)

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lone Star Birds Christmas Rally - pgchin - 12-11-2013 12:16

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)