Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof Leaks Fixed
09-17-2014, 07:48 (This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 08:13 by RetDA.)
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed
(09-17-2014 00:32)GregOConnor Wrote:  what is the roof plates? is it the aluminum walk way? I also never thought of the marker lights being a place for a leak. I may pull them and install leds and seal them up. How did you seal the markers, did you need to do the wire holes and screw holes? My bus is for sale but I may just keep it on the east coast after I get a new one. and I dont know if leaking is an issue as we store it in a barn and cover it when it rains at an event. we keep a sunbrella cover on the roof all the time. . none the less, if the markers on your 94 are leaking, my 94 markers will soon leak. thanks for posting the resolve.

Greg:
Remember, I'm the most challenged technically and mechanically knowledgeable person among 'bird owners. But, I'll tell you what I "think" I know and observed during the repair.

1. The roof plates are the steel components of the roof. On my coach it appears the plates are approximately 4 feet long and 6-8 feet wide. Beginning 3 feet or so from the front cap, you can see where the edge of the plate is riveted to the side, maybe 3 inches or so from the top. As I understand, during construction the plates were laid over the roof, forming somewhat of a contour then riveted to the other side. As the plates were installed, Wanderlodge used some kind of material under the plate as well as some form of glue/sealant to finish the install. The process was repeated back to the rear cap.

Regarding the seam leaks of the plates, over the years, the flexing, shaking and general use of the coach can cause the sealing of the plates to deteriorate, thus allowing water to enter.

2. I would never have thought the clearance lights could cause a leak, but the sealing materials, gasket, etc. of the light assembly will deteriorate. Water will enter the hole where the light connectors enter the coach and run through the interior "trace" (where the a/c ducts and wiring harnesses are installed) extending the inside length of the coach.

The process of sealing the clearance lights was fairly simple. Unscrew the light assembly, pull the light and wiring out of the hole in the side of the coach, removing old sealant/caulk, clean around the area then fill the hole with a good sealant (Di-Cor non-leveling caulk). Push the light assembly back in the fully caulked hole, use a little of the sealant around the light base, screw it back in.

Bear in mind my account of the process is plagued with technical ignorance; my 50 years as a lawyer makes me an objective rather than subjective observer. Somebody else on this forum, including yourself would have a better technical observer than I.

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Roof Leaks Fixed - RetDA - 09-15-2014, 20:31
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - davidbrady - 09-15-2014, 22:54
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - Arcticdude - 09-16-2014, 01:16
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - RetDA - 09-16-2014, 08:53
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - GregOConnor - 09-16-2014, 09:23
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - RetDA - 09-16-2014, 14:59
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - GregOConnor - 09-17-2014, 00:32
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - RetDA - 09-17-2014 07:48
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - GregOConnor - 09-20-2014, 11:43
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - Itchintogo - 09-18-2014, 22:42
RE: Roof Leaks Fixed - RetDA - 09-20-2014, 08:33

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)