Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Privacy, Google, and Web Browsers
03-09-2015, 23:14 (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 23:17 by davidbrady.)
RE: Privacy, Google, and Web Browsers
John,

When I got my first Android, years ago, I pretty much got swallowed up into all of the Android Google services which require a Google ID, or gmail account which is basically the same thing. So, yes I do have a Google account. In my quest for privacy I have to address my Android, and removing Google from it will require rooting the phone, flashing a new ROM, and adding third party sources for the services I want: app store, search, mail, backup, and so on. It's definitely possible to run and Android phone without a Google account but it will take some effort.

Jeff,

I'm not as familiar with Apple devices, but I think it's virtually impossible to root an Apple device. Android is based on Linux and is an open source system. Google bought it and tightly integrated all there services into today's Android phones. Apple is proprietary thru and thru which means no source, no compiling, no flashing, no rooting, and consequently no freeing the phone from the Apple walled garden. But, again I'm not an Apple expert.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Privacy, Google, and Web Browsers - davidbrady - 03-09-2015 23:14

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)