Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery bank inverters lxi
03-28-2015, 15:38
RE: battery bank inverters lxi
Hi David,

Good to be here.

My Magnums use the same method as theTrace/Xantrex to measure voltage. No sense line is utilized. I recently installed Magnum's Battery Management Kit, which uses a shunt to measure voltage and amps in/out as well as battery SOC. Although the BMK does provide more precise readings than the Magnum's remote control displays show that information is not used by the Inverter/chargers.

Our Magnums do behave a bit differently in that bulk and absorb is matched to within 2 or 3 amps while charging at 100 amps per unit and one unit does not wind down until the end of charge. With the Lithiums this means that they are working together for all but the last 10-15 minutes of the charge "cycle". Additionally the battery does not need to be deeply discharged for the units to work together from the start.

That's just wild to think your system charges and inverts at the same time. I understand the why, but is this normal for dual hybrids?

As to the Lithiums: We are running a 1250amp battery comprised of (4)-1250amp cells(3.2v ea.) in series. Each cell is monitored for under/over charge and is passively balanced thru the included Battery Management System. The battery is installed in the exposed factory battery bay behind the tag axle.

After 4 1/2 months of boon docking, including a continuous 2 1/2 months at Quartzsite, charging by generator and/or solar only we have come to love this technology. Batteries are always discussed in quantitative terms, but it is the qualitative improvements to our rving experience that are the most important to us.

As to longevity: I'll check the battery out after a year and see where we stand, but so far I have found no reason to doubt the manufacturers claims.

'98 41' LXI
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: battery bank inverters lxi - K Sarich - 03-28-2015 15:38

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)