Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slide Seal Alternative
03-31-2015, 16:16 (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 17:18 by travelite.)
RE: Slide Seal Alternative
Hi Chuck,

Here's what it looks like:

İmage İmage

I think you can get the DRI seal for around $500 or $12.50 per foot. I imagine if you shop around you can probably find a bulb-style seal for around $5 to $10 per foot depending upon the quality of the material. If it's silicon it'll probably be closer to $10 making the cost delta hard to justify. I'm also thinking that the constant abrasion will eventually do a number to your paint job. This is the case with the factory Prevost slides. Prevost uses a rubber wiper to remove debris as you describe and the slide body paint really shows it.

On the other hand, it'd be a fun technical challenge. Throwing a far-out idea into the mix; I like the approach of a flexible skin that on one end is attached to the outer edge of the slide body and on the inner end is attached to the bus body. This new and fantastic material would waterproof, paintable, and have the ability to stretch maybe 200x it's original size. Think of it as a prophylactic for the slide body. LOL!

Another sometimes overlooked function of the inflatable seal is dampening of the slide body within its opening. I once had the fun of driving from upper Michigan to Moscow Iowa with a torn seal. The slide made a lot of rattling noise without the seal to hold it in place.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Slide Seal Alternative - cmillsap - 03-31-2015, 15:33
RE: Slide Seal Alternative - davidbrady - 03-31-2015 16:16
RE: Slide Seal Alternative - cmillsap - 03-31-2015, 17:45

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)