Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Alignment Gurus Out There?
06-23-2015, 11:53 (This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 23:54 by travelite.)
Any Alignment Gurus Out There?
Folks,

I was at the Prevost Service Center in Nashville, TN. Had some steering rod-ends replaced and an alignment done. They use Hunter equipment model R811 which helps in centering the steering wheel. I believe Hunter uses the drive axle as a reference point. After setting caster, camber, and toe, the techs centered the steering wheel by unbolting the u-joint connection at the steering box and reattaching the column a spline or two over. If the steering wheel isn't centered and is removed to re-center can't this lead to the chassis dog-tracking down the street?

Maybe this is much ado about nothing because my rear axle thrust angle is spot on.

Thoughts? Any gurus on Hunter and alignment out there?

BTW, the attached MCI document covers it, page 22. It says:

"All steering gearboxes have a center point which must be maintained before, during, and after alignment.

Performing a complete alignment to the coach, or even adjusting the toe-in setting and the re-aligning the steering wheel on the column defeats this center point feature and can lead to complaints from operator about coach steering or ‘pulling’ to one side or the other."

Attached File(s)
.pdf  MCI Steering Alignment.pdf (Size: 2.68 MB / Downloads: 614)

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Any Alignment Gurus Out There? - davidbrady - 06-23-2015 11:53

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)