Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not?
01-05-2009, 14:39
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not?
I've got to agree with Brad... while I didn't start with an older BB -- and went from zero (no RV experience at all) directly to a '95-42' -- and all in all, I'm very glad I went this route.
I've had a couple of issues (radiator, shock mount) that were unexpected and a few maintenance items (muffler + various minor things) to deal with -- but I would have expected some issues with any RV that wasn't brand new. And, from what I hear, a brand new RV might have had more (but different) issues that I've had over the past couple of years. Certainly, the older BBs have their maintenance issues and have the effects of many more years of use (or non-use) to deal with as well.
Of course, owning an older 'bird, you're used to what you have and you, quite naturally, are suspect of the greater complexity of one of the newer models. Yes, some of the things are silly or pointless. (The little string lights around the windows and ceiling come to mind.) but most of the upgrades from year to year make good sense. The Aquahot (if properly maintained) is a great and apparently reliable furnace/water heater -- and I have enjoyed the 'never run out' hot water (although the water temperature can vary somewhat). 
When I got my coach, I was doubtful about all the mirrors (at least there's none on the ceiling). But we quickly adjusted and no longer really "see" ourselves all the time. The advantage is that they make the rooms brighter -- and they don't seem as small as they actually are.
I suspect that those of us who are attracted to the Blue Bird would soon adjust to almost any model year. Each one has strengths and weaknesses -- but overall, they're a solid and safe vehicle that has all the upscale features available for any given model year. 
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (For Sale)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Jan 5, 2009, at 4:00 PM, brad barton wrote:

David, 

I've upgraded twice from an 84FC35 like yours to an 86 Newell to an LXi. Outside of the money, I have not regretted moving up (and if money's the most important thing and you don't live in it, an RV is hard to justify).  
Our 84FC was one of the nicest-kept used coaches out there.  Exterior was a little faded and dated but the interior walls, laminate, carpet and upholstery were top of the line and good as new.  But we had one of those stuck fresh-air vents up front, the corner queen was a little awkward and the switch from a 3208 in front to an 8V92 pusher was a major upgrade in power and cabin comfort.  Our problem with the 86 Newell was that their quirky engineering and proprietary parts were getting hard to find and fix.  What we like about our LXi is halogen instead of flourescent lighting, AquaHot (no problems so far) and superior power in the Detroit Series 60.  It is inevitable that age and miles will result in maintenance issues on electric, water and air lines.  I would say that well-maintained wide-bodied BB pusher with everything working would have virtually as many creature comforts and conveniences as anything on the market, regardless of age.        

Brad Barton 00LXiDFW "bbartonwx@hotmail.com"
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not? - dthollis1961 - 01-05-2009, 11:15
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not? - Leroy Eckert - 01-05-2009, 11:36
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not? - brad barton - 01-05-2009, 12:00
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not? - timvasqz - 01-05-2009, 13:09
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not? - brad barton - 01-05-2009, 13:26
Newer Wanderlodge For Me...Or Not? - Pete Masterson - 01-05-2009 14:39

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)