Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines
07-09-2013, 15:34 (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 15:58 by pgchin.)
RE: LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines
(07-09-2013 13:28)cmillsap Wrote:  Pete,

When switching from a greasable PTO to a wet spline; what happens to the grease in the PTO? It gets mixed with the transmission fluid;doesn't it? I doubt that it is enough to hurt anything but it may be prudent to flush out the grease by removing the end cap (the one with the grease fitting) for access. Also the grease fitting should be removed and the hole plugged or replace with a new end cap with no holes.

Chuck,
Yes I understand on the initial wet conversion, the above may be true, BUT with a grease PTO, the tranny fluid and Hydraulic fluid are separated by two shaft seals and the cavity is theoretically empty and the two fluids never mix, as in my original setup... the cavity catching excess grease and hydraulic fluid over time. However, once is Steady state with a wet setup, if the pump shaft seal lets go with wear and age, then you are feeding hydraulic fluid into the tranny with the new PTO wet spline return line at 175PSI ALL THE TIME......hence if you have a wet spline setup, you need to periodically inspect the cavity to insure the pump shaft seal is holding. You need to do that as well in a grease setup and clean out the excess grease so it is a wash on either setup...... In my case the NEW PUMP shaft seal is defective and weeping hydraulic fluid right out of the bottom of the cavity face plate, the cavity never filling up and my cavity on the new setup is NOT fluid tight......... others have stated an eventual pump shaft seal leak, like mine, over time as the pump ages. Just something to be aware of so you do not have to incur the cost of a tranny rebuild.!Big GrinWink
PS Periodic inspection on a wet spline setup is pretty simple and takes little time. Loosen the 2 bolts between the pump and pto that hold them together, catch the fluid in a cup as it comes out the bottom of the cavity and look at the fluid, if its all tranny fluid, no pump seal leak! :-) 20 minute job plus beer! :-0..........

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines - pgchin - 07-09-2013 15:34

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)