Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just received my new water heater today....
06-06-2013, 20:42 (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 20:43 by nedb.)
Just received my new water heater today....
The Atwood marine in my water bay looks a little dated (rust and wet spots tend to look that way to me). I'd guess it is original to my 1991 coach, so it is due for an update, 'tho it still works. Wink

So I shopped around and compared features like tank material, location of motor-aided heat ports, wattage requirements for immersion heat.

And in a late-night decision, against a lot of advice about the dubious value of stainless steel, I ordered an Isotemp Basic 30. I think it is made in Italy (older Isotemp equipment used in Europe was Italian-made), a very sheik cask-shaped stainless casing with stainless tank inside. It stands in free air, oriented horizontally in the longest dimension, supported by feet. That's a good design, no moisture will be trapped under it.

I think this is going to be a project, working around the existing Primus heat exchanger, expansion tank, and pump. I expect to move some things around, as this water heater is significantly wider (but less deep) than the old Atwood. Today I'll begin removing the old equipment, followed by inspection of the carpet and water bay structure, followed by sealing and rust-proofing. Actual bay rust will not be a big thing, as the Wanderlodge bays are built of galvanized steel Big Grin

-------
Ned Bedinger
Southworth, WA
'91 SP36 +1988.5 Samurai
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Just received my new water heater today.... - nedb - 06-06-2013 20:42

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)