Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batteries Overcharging Badly
09-11-2013, 20:26 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 20:27 by mhughes01.)
RE: Batteries Overcharging Badly
I'll let you guy know when I fling a part number for the signal switch. Wont likely get to it until October when we get home.

David, that shunt setting on the Xantrex remotes. Do you think it's likely my 1999 has a shunt? If so should both remotes be set to "shunt on"?

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toad

Rolleyes http://www.challengerwest.com Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2013, 21:01 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 22:28 by travelite.)
(09-11-2013 20:26)mhughes01 Wrote:  I'll let you guy know when I fling a part number for the signal switch. Wont likely get to it until October when we get home.

David, that shunt setting on the Xantrex remotes. Do you think it's likely my 1999 has a shunt? If so should both remotes be set to "shunt on"?

Hi Mike,

I don't think the 1999 has an external shunt. I believe this was a Xantrex feature that came later in the LXi evolution, closer to the '01/'02 model year and at around the time when Xantrex offered an AGM battery choice, but as always with Wanderlodges, there can be exceptions.

An external shunt allows you to get accurate battery fuel gauge information. On the RC7 that controls the inverter that's connected to the external shunt you configure: External Shunt 'This Inverter'. You then configure the other inverter to: External Shunt 'Other Inverter'. This means only the inverter connected to the external shunt will provide accurate battery fuel gauge readout.

The external shunt, and there is only one, is mounted to the basement bay wall next to the stack of inverters. Xantrex provides the shunt kit and the wiring harness. The external shunt will be connected to just one inverter, and that inverter will monitor charge going into and out of your entire house battery bank, all six batteries. This will be the inverter that will give you accurate State of Charge information at it's respective RC7 panel.

I believe your inverters each have internal shunts on the ground terminal, but in the absence of the external shunt, each inverter will report only what it consumes; i.e., only it's local view of the world. I'm not sure how useful this will be as an overall battery fuel gauge for your 6 4D battery house bank. I think the reading might tend to be misleading. I can see how they might display conflicting data, but I have no real experience with these setups; maybe someone else can comment.

To get things like:

1) % charge remaining,
2) time remaining at current amperage draw (moving average), or
3) amperage currently being drawn out of, or put into, the battery bank,

you can add something like the Xantrex Linkpro. Lot's of wanderlodge owners use this product and love it.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-11-2013, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 22:41 by cmillsap.)
(09-11-2013 16:42)gondolaguy Wrote:  David,

As you know, my three way switch titled "Aux battery" does not light up when in the center "off" position. It only lights up when depressed to the right or momentarily depressed to the left. Here was what I saw on a post on the other WL website

"This is what my LXi manual states, your M380 setup may be different.

AUXILIARY BATTERY
A three position switch – ON, OFF and Momentary ON. The Momentary ON
position connects chassis and coach batteries to aid in engine or generator
starting should this need arise. The ON position connects both sets of batteries
to the battery charger and is primarily intended to maintain all batteries during
long-term storage. The OFF position is the normal position while the coach is
in use, either driving or parked."

This is from the same year LXI as mine. I wonder then if mine is not functioning correctly and/or if your memory of yours is off???

Corey,

Sometimes those factory descriptions of the switch's operation are not totally accurate such as the one above. That switch really has nothing to do with starting the generator if it's battery is dead. As you know, there is another Aux Gen switch that performs that function.

As regards the Aux Bat Switch. On my bus, with the ignition on (alternator charging) and the switch set in the off position, the Green Light is on but at low intensity.
When the switch is pressed to the left to the on position to facilitate both banks being charged by the inverter/chargers, the green light becomes more brilliant.

On my other LXi, same thing, when traveling with alternator charging and Aux Bat switch in "Off" position, a low intensity glow on the green light.

That doesn't mean that your switch is faulty or that it should operate like mine. I'm just saying that is how mine is and everything works like they should regarding battery charging.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
[+] 1 user Likes cmillsap's post
09-20-2013, 18:25
Folks,

Here's a document with a good drawing of our power distribution in our LXi engine compartments:

.pdf  0000030.pdf (Size: 62.21 KB / Downloads: 582)

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)