Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinyl Wrap Removal
09-29-2013, 14:58
Vinyl Wrap Removal
The 6" x 38' Las Vegas Gold paint on the roof crown was looking bad so two years ago I had it vinyl wrapped. Looked good for a while. Now it's time to remove the vinyl. Using the heat gun about 10% of the vinyl comes off easy. I'm also using a vinyl eraser, the 1" wide. So far it works as advertised...but it's slow going.

I'm using the vinyl eraser in a 3/8" electric drill. The drill max speed is 1,200 rpms. Dent Fix 700 series air tools are available that work with the vinyl eraser. They have a steady higher operating rpm. Might be good to add one to my tool collection.

I'm wondering what others have used to remove wide/long sections of vinyl.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2013, 17:06
RE: Vinyl Wrap Removal
Try a steamer. Doesnt get too hot to melt paint. That is what is used to remove old 3m stone guard and to stretch and apply new. Use with plastic scraper. Still SLOW.

quote='csprenger' pid='50220' dateline='1380477526']
The 6" x 38' Las Vegas Gold paint on the roof crown was looking bad so two years ago I had it vinyl wrapped. Looked good for a while. Now it's time to remove the vinyl. Using the heat gun about 10% of the vinyl comes off easy. I'm also using a vinyl eraser, the 1" wide. So far it works as advertised...but it's slow gointg.

I'm using the vinyl eraser in a 3/8" electric drill. The drill max speed is 1,200 rpms. Dent Fix 700 series air tools are available that work with the vinyl eraser. They have a steady higher operating rpm. Might be good to add one to my tool collection.

[/quote]

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
09-29-2013, 20:39
RE: Vinyl Wrap Removal
Try a steamer. Doesnt get too hot to melt paint. That is what is used to remove old 3m stone guard and to stretch and apply new. Use with plastic scraper. Still SLOW.

quote='csprenger' pid='50220' dateline='1380477526']
The 6" x 38' Las Vegas Gold paint on the roof crown was looking bad so two years ago I had it vinyl wrapped. Looked good for a while. Now it's time to remove the vinyl. Using the heat gun about 10% of the vinyl comes off easy. I'm also using a vinyl eraser, the 1" wide. So far it works as advertised...but it's slow gointg.

[/quote]

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)