Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM or F/C Batteries
10-16-2013, 00:33
AGM or F/C Batteries
Did BB install 6 8D batteries or 6 4D batteries in a 2000 LXI as original equipment? Were they Flooded Cell or AGM? I ask because I need to replace a flooded cell battery or maybe replace them all with the correct size AGMs. It appears visually that the (3) battery trays are sized for (2) 8D batteries in each tray. I believe that was the setup on my previous other LXi.

The PO replaced the battery bank in my new(to me) LXi in April of this year just before I bought it. He installed 6 new 4D Powertron Flooded Cell batteries. I installed a battery watering system on them as I hated to replace a good set of new batteries.

While at the WaGu rally we smelled this sewer oder around and inside the bus. I flushed the black tank and added some baking soda to the grey tank in an effort to eliminate the smell.

A few miles down the road as we headed for home, we pulled into a rest stop because the oder was getting stronger. It was dificult to pinpoint the location where the smell was coming from. I had my infra-red thermometer gun in my pocket as I intended to check the tire temps while we were stopped. I started aiming the gun at the batteries. Five batteries were running around 75*F and one battery was running 145*f. Closer inspection (with the nose) determined the battery was emiting (sulfating) the oder and the side walls were starting to bulge.

With the help of Gregg and Jane Gesse, who just happened to stop at the same rest stop, we disconnected the bad battery and wrapped the cables in a couple of Jane's rubber kitchen pads and tied them up so they could not short out on anything.

So if you smell an oder akin to a sewer or propane gas smell, Check you batteries as one or more may be sulfating.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2013, 08:40
RE: AGM or F/C Batteries
Chuck
I think the LXI carry 6 4D gel cell batteries and not 8D the same as the 97 43' WB's.

Hisham and Sue Amaral
2004 Prevost XL2 Marathon (sold)
2003 Liberty H3-45 2 slide
Titusville, Florida
248-935-5390
[+] 1 user Likes Hisham Amaral's post
10-16-2013, 11:18 (This post was last modified: 10-16-2013 11:19 by pgchin.)
Chuck,
Hish is correct according to the documentation for the 2000LXI 6-4D gels................like his former 96 and my 95.......FWIW I've run flooded for years but OEM are gels........... David has an article on here "titled" dirty little secrets about flooded cells and it is technically correct but I run them anyway to save a little geld!Wink

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
10-17-2013, 08:11
I have 6 4D in my coach which are toast. New ones arrived yesterday. So when I finish with this Dynasty- the old ones come out and the new ones go in and my cash- well, you knew where that went

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
10-18-2013, 11:10 (This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 11:46 by davidbrady.)
That was a really good catch finding that faulty battery Chuck. You averted what could have been a disaster. IMPO, our high-end coaches (including Pete's) :-) deserve Lifeline AGM's! I won't put anything less in my LXi. Eventually I'd like to install Odyssey AGM start batteries into my chassis bank.

We should come up with a thermal imaging camera to scan for hot spots on our coaches.

And, look at Cap'n Jane coming to the rescue. Gregg you're a very lucky man!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
10-18-2013, 13:10 (This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 13:11 by cmillsap.)
(10-18-2013 11:10)davidbrady Wrote:  That was a really good catch finding that faulty battery Chuck. You averted what could have been a disaster. IMPO, our high-end coaches (including Pete's) :-) deserve Lifeline AGM's! I won't put anything less in my LXi. Eventually I'd like to install Odyssey AGM start batteries into my chassis bank.

We should come up with a thermal imaging camera to scan for hot spots on our coaches.

And, look at Cap'n Jane coming to the rescue. Gregg you're a very lucky man!

The PO paid $1572 to have those F/C batteries installed in my bus last April. I added a $400 watering system. I had Tom quote me his price for AGMs. He has the best prices on Lifeline 4D AGMs at $3200 including freight.

The bad battery is being replaced under warranty at no charge. I would love to switch to AGMs but I just can not justify throwing away 6 near new batteries and an expensive watering system. But when it's time to replace these batteries, it's AGMs in my bus.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
10-18-2013, 13:20
Chuck,

I wonder if someone at this coming Quartzsite Rally would like to take those batteries off your hands.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
10-19-2013, 11:26
Here is a good comparison for Flooded vs AGM vs Gel Note that gel charge V is less and sensitive. 14.1 V will not fully charge the others.

Now if there this chart would include Lithium !! Costly but long term / weight and simplicity of charging?

http://www.geopathfinder.com/DekaDeepCyc...on1081.pdf

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)