Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Springs for bay doors
07-21-2014, 01:05
RE: Gas Springs for bay doors
Since this thread already exists, I am just going to add to it, to help people for future searches. On my '91 WB, a couple of the outside bay door gas struts were totally dead or too weak to hold the doors up safely without crashing into my back (again). Since that really hurts, I finally got around to putting new gas struts on them. Turns out that most of my doors have only one strut, but the slightly wider doors on the pass through bay and on the BBQ bay have two struts.

The single strut doors use a so called 20" 200 psi, which is actually more like 19.7" or 19.75" center-to-center and it has larger 13mm heads for the ball joint. $23 each as I recall. The wider doors use two 19.69" struts with a smaller ball joint head. Since there were two struts, and I could not cross reference the old original 1990-91 part numbers or get a psi rating off of them, I had first tried some lighter struts (80/90psi) and the doors laughed at them. I bumped up to 120 psi and while they held the doors open, they did not contribute much to lifting the doors open, so today I installed some 150 psi and am very happy with how they assist in opening and holding the door open. The 150 psi struts were $20.29 each.

Hope this helps for future searches on this topic. Keep in mind, my 91 WB may be totally different from other year models.

FWIW, YMMV, yadda yadda.......

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gas Springs for bay doors - mikebulriss - 07-21-2014 01:05

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)