Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
11-24-2013, 23:42 (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013 00:27 by travelite.)
RE: How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
(11-24-2013 22:23)al perna Wrote:  Thanks , now how did you go about the 3/4 gal @ mile ?

13000 btu/min: heat power sunk to cac & cooling system at 500hp
40%: portion sunk by evaporative cooling
5200 btu/min: heat power absorbed by water
52 mph: desired speed
1.15 minutes to go 1 mile
6000 btu/mile sunk by water
970.40 btu/lb: water latent heat of vaporization
6.18 lb/mile: water
8.34 lb/gal: water
0.74 gallons of water per mile

(11-24-2013 22:23)al perna Wrote:  Now if we use 1 gal per mile and use it 25% of the grade s millage , how much water must we hold on a 8 mile climb at 118 degrees with a 8% Grade . ? you see I didn t even need it on a recent trip with many tough climbs this summer in Colorado . But I do think Chuck was asking for the ability to go faster , not over heat .

That's right Al, the only reason to use it is to go faster. Personally I enjoy driving within the limits of the machine, but at the same time I understand Baker Hill.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes davidbrady's post
11-25-2013, 00:56
(11-24-2013 23:03)BirdPilot Wrote:  My "new" LXi is an '01. Good shape as far as wear 'n tear, only 49k miles. Problem is, as far as I can tell, it's been sitting since '06. Lots of little items to find/fix as well as some higher dollar items. Just bought six coach batteries, should replace the tires. Wasn't thinking too clearly when I looked at it and almost no tire wear. Problem is date code 0706.

I've always worked with Multi-Wing on fans. They make a lot of different styles and shapes in both metal and polymers and have some very sharp engineers on board. As far as the shroud, I just find a good sheet metal house that can roll the orifice needed and weld it in. Most of the fan efficiency involves the fan blade style, inlet geometry, tip clearance to the shroud and axial placement in the shroud. I have an older article from Industrial Vehicle Technology that touches on some of these and will attempt to attach it.

That's great stuff! Thanks!

david brady,

[+] 1 user Likes davidbrady's post
02-13-2014, 13:18
On a Prevost H3 that I've been looking at, I found this placard pasted to the engine compartment.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)