Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Cambridge Crude
11-03-2013, 22:06 (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 22:09 by davidbrady.)
Cambridge Crude
MIT's Semi Solid Flow Cell Batteries: Cambridge Crude.

Excerpt:

Another potential advantage is that in vehicle applications, such a system would permit the possibility of simply “refueling” the battery by pumping out the liquid slurry and pumping in a fresh, fully charged replacement, or by swapping out the tanks like tires at a pit stop, while still preserving the option of simply recharging the existing material when time permits.

The new semi-solid flow batteries pioneered by Chiang and colleagues overcome this limitation, providing a 10-fold improvement in energy density over present liquid flow-batteries, and lower-cost manufacturing than conventional lithium-ion batteries. Because the material has such a high energy density, it does not need to be pumped rapidly to deliver its power. “It kind of oozes,” Chiang says. Because the suspensions look and flow like black goo and could end up used in place of petroleum for transportation, Carter says, “We call it ‘Cambridge crude.’”

Yury Gogotsi, Distinguished University Professor at Drexel University and director of Drexel’s Nanotechnology Institute, says, “The demonstration of a semi-solid lithium-ion battery is a major breakthrough that shows that slurry-type active materials can be used for storing electrical energy.” This advance, he says, “has tremendous importance for the future of energy production and storage.”

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2013, 23:24
RE: Cambridge Crude
Whoa! That's truly mind bending!!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
11-04-2013, 11:58 (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 12:26 by travelite.)
RE: Cambridge Crude
It is promising technology John! I'd like to read the research paper but I'm too cheap to pay the $35 they want. As the news-blip says flow cell battery technology isn't new but using nanotechnology to create a semi-solid flow with suspended anodes and cathodes is. The bane of battery powered vehicles is weight and recharge times. This technology can address both. The recharge time is as simple as filling your battery (gas tank) with a newly charged batch of black goo!

Energy storage technology like this is the future. We need high efficiency and high density storage and power delivery, Lithium ion batteries are 99% efficient - way better than the 40% we get from hydrogen fuel cells. Hydrogen can pack the energy but it takes huge volume and it's dangerous to generate, distribute and carry. In both cases we use large scale remote power generation stations, either for hydrogen generation or for black goo direct energy storage. Hydrogen is an energy storage medium, but black goo beats it with regards to efficiency and likely safety.

I may break down and buy the paper - this is intensely interesting!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)