Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
More Pilot/Flying J lunacy
11-11-2013, 22:49 (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 01:02 by Arcticdude.)
More Pilot/Flying J lunacy
Pulled into a Flying J and started to dump the tanks, as I've done for several years now. One slight problem, the morons have turned off ALL outside water faucets!!!! There's no way to flush a tank or clean the sewer hoses off!! Every outside faucet is a frost proof version and all are buried in the concrete mass of the parking lot. Both the asst mgr inside and the csr both gave me the same speil of "It'll freeze, so they're off!"

How much dumber is the world going to get??

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 22:52
RE: More Pilot/Flying J lunacy
avoid those places and Petro like the plague

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
11-14-2013, 09:18
John,
ROTFLMAO,Big Grin I was in Tallahassee as few years ago off I-10 and needed to Dump at one and the water was off... IN JULY.......its a $$$$ thing with them........ I'm redoing my water closet this year and adding an outlet so I can pump out of the tank into my own hose for things like this and other situations when I need water from the tank into a garden hose!Wink

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
11-14-2013, 13:01
Why not use one of these with your outside water bay faucet?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/ite...-cap/36542

Also, we usually have enough water in the gray tank to rinse, when we're traveling.

BTW, I still like Flying J, great pizza, the RV pump allows pumping $495 of diesel with $.03 discount + PenFed 5% discount without going into store. (can do the same thing at Pilot at truck pumps). Just filled in OK for $3.485 after all discounts.

They do charge $10 for dump ($5 with RV card), but after bankruptcy, I guess things change.

Morey Zuber
99LXi41
[+] 1 user Likes timetravelers's post
11-14-2013, 16:06 (This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 16:07 by Arcticdude.)
While I could run a hose from my fresh tank to flush the black tank, I won't have the city water pressure to really flush it. And, you couldn't take on any fresh water either, so if you're truly traveling and trying to run "light" to save fuel, then you couldn't do it.

But the idiocy of telling a customer "it's because they'll freeze" when they haven't in 10 years truly takes the cake. I thought our politicians were stupid, but this has me reconsidering!

If you get the pro driver card, it's only $3 to dump. Wink

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
11-16-2013, 03:02
(11-14-2013 16:06)Arcticdude Wrote:  While I could run a hose from my fresh tank to flush the black tank, I won't have the city water pressure to really flush it. And, you couldn't take on any fresh water either, so if you're truly traveling and trying to run "light" to save fuel, then you couldn't do it.

But the idiocy of telling a customer "it's because they'll freeze" when they haven't in 10 years truly takes the cake. I thought our politicians were stupid, but this has me reconsidering!

If you get the pro driver card, it's only $3 to dump. Wink

Am I reading this wrong?> I mean, folks. Do you really think you are saving fuel by running without 100 gallons in the fresh water tank?> If you have Coast to Coast you can stop at numerous parks, take a shower, have a beer or two, dump the tanks, smoke some meat and enjoy yourself for $15 bucks a night. Shish.

Leroy A. Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
11-16-2013, 11:10
For part timers is Passport America the club to join? I've never owned a membership in any of these discount CG clubs. Anyone have the scoop?

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
11-17-2013, 00:15
(11-16-2013 03:02)jwasnewski Wrote:  Am I reading this wrong?> I mean, folks. Do you really think you are saving fuel by running without 100 gallons in the fresh water tank?> If you have Coast to Coast you can stop at numerous parks, take a shower, have a beer or two, dump the tanks, smoke some meat and enjoy yourself for $15 bucks a night. Shish.

The issue is that I can typically get home in one day from many of the rallies I attend. Having a place close to home to dump makes it nice. I can use the coach essentially until I'm home, dump and then park it. I don't yet have a way to dump at the house and I don't want to park it for a couple of weeks with tanks full. Seems to make sense to me.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
11-17-2013, 16:57 (This post was last modified: 11-17-2013 16:58 by jwasnewski.)
(11-16-2013 11:10)davidbrady Wrote:  For part timers is Passport America the club to join? I've never owned a membership in any of these discount CG clubs. Anyone have the scoop?

I don't get to go like I used too. However, I still own a Coast to Coast membership with home at Sunset Kings Lake Campground Resort in DeFuniak Springs, FL. Anyone have a use for it I will sell it reasonably. It has paid for itself many times over.

I was also a Passport America member. That membership pays its annual fee in about 2 weekends of stay in nice parks.

Frankly, I have never stayed or used any service at a truck stop except to fuel. I have never stayed in a WalMart parking lot or a roadway rest area, although I have no issue with the rest areas.

It seems very odd to me seeing a high dollar motor home camping free in a commercial parking lot. It just does not fit and the view stinks. If ya can't afford to stay in a RV park you don't need a motor coach. As well, overextending your free stay at private business invariably results in legislation detrimental to recreational vehicles.

To each his/her own. It is just the way I think. Smile

Leroy A. Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
11-17-2013, 19:24 (This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 13:38 by Arcticdude.)
Ah, I figured out the rub! I'm not staying there, only getting fuel and dumping on the way home. From most directions, there's one roughly 100 miles or less from the house. So I'll utilize the coach facilities until that point, dump and flush the tanks out and park it, ready to use them the next trip. So yes, if I'm traveling, I find a campground to overnight in or stop in a rest area. That mostly depends on how much time I plan on being stopped.

But now I can't flush the tanks at PFJ unless I use my lower pressure water supply. No water there to do so. I guess thats what I'll do in the future, until i find a better option. Nor can I get any fresh water to get me to my destination. But the cars can't get any water and neither can the truckers, either. THAT seems to be a very shortsighted view to me.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)