Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LXi, Three Receiver Hitch
11-21-2013, 00:32
RE: LXi, Three Receiver Hitch
So Al, what I did is what you're contemplating. I just added the two 2" receivers. I had them welded at a higher spot on the factory receiver, which allowed better clearance. This is why I notched the bumpers. Works great! The stock platform that the receivers weld to has legs that go way forward of the engine to move the forces forward to larger structure I think.

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2013, 00:40 (This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 00:43 by davidbrady.)
That's what I would do Corey if I didn't already have a 3 receiver hitch. My attachment points are 2 inches lower than yours so I miss out on the added ground clearance. To solve that problem I'd just add a few air valves and a switch to raise the rear of the coach from the captain's seat; something like this is sorely needed in our LXi's. When you get a chance it'd be great if you could take a few close-up pics of the work your welders did.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
11-21-2013, 09:43
today I have a call with the folks at overbuilt. They say they have done some LXI coaches and will share how they went about the install . I don t think the down the road driving would be effected by the placement , but I worry that when we drop the air with the bike mounted we would definitely be on the ground .

Cory the only issue I have with cutting the bumper would be resale , if the new owner did not want a 3 point hitch , he would be faced with a repair of the bumper . I guess I could have some chrome made around the cut area , might look pretty cool Smile

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
11-22-2013, 16:01
Al,

Did you hear from Overbilt regarding their installation recommendations on an LXi?

david brady,

11-22-2013, 19:42
David, we played phone tag the past 2 days . on the 3 vm to me they never said anything about the install . only info was " returning your call " lol

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
11-22-2013, 21:08
Al,

All that steel back there is 3/8 inches thick. The upside down C-channel that holds the three receivers is 3/8" thick steel, 7.5" wide with 3" flanges; the upright L-sections connecting the receiver bar to the frame rails are 3/8" thick, 8" wide with a single 3" flange (way better than plates). The twin bars that run forward to the front of the engine are 2" by 2", I'm not sure about wall thickness. Just some info to relay to Overbilt. Like I said, it's a 10,000 lb capacity hitch with a maximum tongue weight of 1000 lbs.

david brady,

12-04-2013, 01:07
(11-21-2013 09:43)al perna Wrote:  . I guess I could have some chrome made around the cut area , might look pretty cool Smile

Al, you might try a male square tube attached to a flat plate that could fill the outboard recepticals and be painted the same color so they wouldn't be so obvious....might be able to make it look very custom and removable by reaching under the bumber and install/remove a spring clip. Or use aluminum plate that could be shaped to fit any taper or curve with a slight smooth lip about 1/4 inch from the edge to give it a finished look. Done right, I don't believe it would detract from the OEM. Are the outboard mounts 2" or 1"?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)