Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside compartment handle
11-25-2013, 22:44
Outside compartment handle
One of the compartment aluminum handles is mangled on my coach and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on where to find one?

Not quite so coincidentally, when that particular compartment door is open, it lines up perfectly with a large nut protruding under the slide out... so I believe I know what happened. It also had to be one with three different paint colors on it, which brings the next question. Are there any paint codes anywhere on the coach to identify the paint color(s)?

Jeff Jack - TN
'01 LXi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2013, 23:45 (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013 23:49 by davidbrady.)
RE: Outside compartment handle
(11-25-2013 22:44)BirdPilot Wrote:  One of the compartment aluminum handles is mangled on my coach and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on where to find one?

Not quite so coincidentally, when that particular compartment door is open, it lines up perfectly with a large nut protruding under the slide out... so I believe I know what happened. It also had to be one with three different paint colors on it, which brings the next question. Are there any paint codes anywhere on the coach to identify the paint color(s)?

I'd get on the phone with the parts department at Holland Motors Michigan and maybe their school bus franchise and explain that you need a handle for the LTC40 to fit your LXi.

When I bought my coach I got a very nice 16" x 16" Blue Bird Wanderlodge embossed booklet containing the floorplan, samples of all the textures, flooring and fabrics used in the interior, and codes for all the exterior paints (as shown in the last attached pic). If you don't have it Parliament Coach might but you may have to purchase a copy of your coach records from them to get it. I'm not aware of the paint codes being attached to the bus body at any place.

BTW, I'm not quite sure how the slide adjusting nut could have contacted the handle. When the slide is fully extended the handle is well clear of the slide hardware, as it is when the slide is retracted. In addition, the slide should be disabled from being extended if any of the driver's side basement doors are open, unless that safety feature isn't working.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
11-26-2013, 00:10
Any good paint shop can match your paint. Even better than having the codes. The computerized matching systems match the fade that currently exists. The codes would not.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
11-26-2013, 00:16 (This post was last modified: 11-26-2013 00:26 by cmillsap.)
David,

I'm not aware of any "nut" in that area either.

I think what Jeff is saying is that the open bay handle was banged against the slide beam during opening of the bay door enough times to damage it.

You already know that 2nd bay door's handle needs to be placed back in the closed positioin before fully opening the bay door when the slide is out.

Chuck

P.S. I didn't know your coach or others had 6 paint colors on the exterior. I thoughr all LXi(s) were fitted with 5 colors. I guess a couple of the colors are so close to same that when we visually count paint colors, it appears there are only 5.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
11-26-2013, 01:36
(11-26-2013 00:16)cmillsap Wrote:  P.S. I didn't know your coach or others had 6 paint colors on the exterior. I thoughr all LXi(s) were fitted with 5 colors. I guess a couple of the colors are so close to same that when we visually count paint colors, it appears there are only 5.

Very astute of you Chuck. Yes it does have six colors and that is unusual. Most LXi's including the M450's have 5 colors. I'm proud of my six colors! Smile It's something BB reserved for their show coaches and a few others like mine.

I think most of the FC's and PT's have 3 colors, Wide Bodies have 4, M380's typically had 4, LXi's and M450's typically had 5, with some having 6, and show coaches having even more.

david brady,

11-26-2013, 04:24
There is a paint code label next to the axle weight placard above the windshield. Matching is better anyway.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
11-26-2013, 09:30
My coach has 6:
Astin Martin -gold
Diamante - beige
Diamante- medium gold
Diamante- red
Volkswagen - green
Diamante- sable

maybe I'm a Mitsubishi ?

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
11-26-2013, 19:47
Thanks for all of the info and hope I can get my hands on one. It's bent up pretty well and would take a lot of effort to repair it. The first time I got into the compartment with the slide out, I noticed how well the handle lined up with the slide mechanism. The rod is slightly off-center of the handle, the same side that is bent out as if the door was open with the handle sticking up. The paint is also boogered up to match. I'll have to do an ops check on the switch(s) that should keep the room from operating with the compartment open. I know the jack system knows when one's open. After a couple of episodes of not being able to operate the jacks complete with more than a few bad words uttered, a friend enlightened me as to the necessity of closing the compartments.

Several of my lessons have been almost painful to learn. Precisely why I was so happy to find the Wanderlodge Gurus...

Jeff Jack - TN
'01 LXi
11-26-2013, 22:43
(11-26-2013 19:47)BirdPilot Wrote:  Several of my lessons have been almost painful to learn. Precisely why I was so happy to find the Wanderlodge Gurus...

Glad you found us Jeff; we're here to serve! Smile I don't know if you had a chance to look at our Document Library. There's a lot of LXi info there and a lot of HWH slide and levelers documentation. Enjoy!

I'd love to see a pic or two of your LXi. Each one is an American icon - a national treasure. Only about 350 were made from 1998 thru 2003, no two alike; they're the Ferrari of buses! All Wanderlodges are wonderful but you can guess where my heart lies!

One of the things that's fun to do around here is to poke a pin into our User Locations map. Here's a tutorial on How to use the User Locations Map.

WaGu also has a feature rich Photo Gallery. We have a Gallery Showcase for each Wanderlodge Model. Any photo added to our Gallery automatically appears in our Recent Gallery Photos visible on the index page header (home page).

You can issue "reputation" points to members for posts that are especially noteworthy, and if you simply agree with someone and want to give a nod of approval without the formality of a reply, you can tell them by clicking the "like" button.

Also, if you have a piece of news that you'd like to share with the group, post it in the "Latest News" forum under About the Forum -> Latest News. Any new thread created in the 'Latest News' forum is automatically displayed on our 'Recent News' ticker on the index page .

Thanks again and have fun! Smile

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)