Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tell me where the structural integrity is-
02-09-2014, 11:46
RE: Tell me where the structural integrity is-
Interesting story, but a little off topic. A friend of mine is an Entegra dealer, and he custom ordered one of their new model PT's for his personal demo coach.
Last October, when they were PDI'ing the coach at the plant in Indiana the Cummins ISX 600 in the coach seized backing the coach out of the bay. Perhaps not so much Entegra's fault on the engine but as of 2 weeks ago they had not given my friend a disposition on the engine as to whether they would replace or rebuild it, and his coach is still sitting in Indiana with the engine out.
One issue was in removing the engine for inspection, apparently they needed to cut the rear bumper/frame crossmember out of the coach to remove the engine. This included the exterior fiberglass as well. It does not unbolt so when they re-install the engine the rear section will need to be fiberglassed in and repainted.
My friend ended up taking a used coach off his lot to FL for the winter while Entegra/Jayco sorts this out. I guess my question is if they will treat a dealer this way, how would they treat you?

Jim Doel
Perth, Ontario
2007 M380
Stainless Steel
w/26' Featherlight trailer
jimdoel@me.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 19:48
(02-09-2014 11:46)JD33 Wrote:  Interesting story, but a little off topic. A friend of mine is an Entegra dealer, and he custom ordered one of their new model PT's for his personal demo coach.
Last October, when they were PDI'ing the coach at the plant in Indiana the Cummins ISX 600 in the coach seized backing the coach out of the bay. Perhaps not so much Entegra's fault on the engine but as of 2 weeks ago they had not given my friend a disposition on the engine as to whether they would replace or rebuild it, and his coach is still sitting in Indiana with the engine out.
One issue was in removing the engine for inspection, apparently they needed to cut the rear bumper/frame crossmember out of the coach to remove the engine. This included the exterior fiberglass as well. It does not unbolt so when they re-install the engine the rear section will need to be fiberglassed in and repainted.
My friend ended up taking a used coach off his lot to FL for the winter while Entegra/Jayco sorts this out. I guess my question is if they will treat a dealer this way, how would they treat you?

Did they forget the oil?

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toad

Rolleyes http://www.challengerwest.com Tongue
02-09-2014, 20:40
That's interesting. When you find the results, please let know. Plus, I would think that Cummins would want that engine back to see why it did what it did.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
02-10-2014, 19:02
They told my friend that it was a faulty fuel pump, yes fuel pump. Somehow it filled the engine with fuel and that was what caused the failure. I will see him in Florida in 2 weeks and will let you know the outcome. He sure was not a happy camper when I saw him last

Jim Doel
Perth, Ontario
2007 M380
Stainless Steel
jimdoel@me.com
02-10-2014, 23:31
I sure wouldn't be, also. Not on a brand new coach!

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
02-11-2014, 10:08
I am with you there Steve, and from my personal perspective I would not consider buying a new coach at all. After having had a fleet of new trucks with DPF's and DEF, I have learned that all of these new emissions systems are problematic. It seems that 9 issues out of 10 are related to the emissions systems. FWIW, I have no issues with the 2004 emissions regs that require EGR only, and that regulation extends to include 2007 model year engines. For me that is the newest coach that I would ever consider owning.

Jim Doel
Perth, Ontario
2007 M380
Stainless Steel
jimdoel@me.com
02-12-2014, 00:36
One of the main reasons I am hanging on to my 06 Duramax LBZ. People that know the difference are looking for them.

As fas as coaches I think the timeline might be later for motorhome engines is it not? Seems to me I have looked at newer stuff perhaps only 3 or 4 years old that was exempt. Not sure.

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
02-12-2014, 02:19
You'll find more than a few folks complaining about their EGR Detroits on the various forums. On the flip side, my '13 F250 diesel is an absolute beast compared to my '00 with the 7.3. And IT is pretty strong. Load them the same and the 6.7 will accelerate close to 50% faster, will run faster down the road AND it's getting about 2 mpg better while doing so.

Do I agree with def and the like? No. But my experience so far has not turned me off of it. As with any new system, the customers often provide the real testing, unfortunately.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
02-12-2014, 19:56
Just wait till you have to service the exhaust system. I understand it's big bucks, and it has to be done fairly often in a pick up.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
02-13-2014, 02:13
Steve,

That's interesting, because my owners manual says nothing about it in the service charts. I'll have to go double check to be sure, but I only remember reading about oil and fuel system servicing. I'm doing my WAY overboard, as I'm changing the oil, oil filter and both fuel filters every 7500 miles. Usually the computer is showing I'm only about 60% through the oil life.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)