Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floating Tile Floor
02-09-2014, 16:20
Floating Tile Floor
Taking out the carpet for the new tile floor and found what looks like sound proofing material? It appears to be just up front. The metal piece appears just to hold it down on the back edge.
Has anyone else found this? Am I right or is it something else?

İmage İmage İmage

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 17:23
RE: Floating Tile Floor
(02-09-2014 16:20)Gregg Wrote:  Taking out the carpet for the new tile floor and found what looks like sound proofing material? It appears to be just up front. The metal piece appears just to hold it down on the back edge.
Has anyone else found this? Am I right or is it something else?

It is sound proofing and vibration dampening for the generator noise that would otherwise infiltrate the cabin

Richard Baker
Newberg, OR
1987 PT-40
8V-92
02-09-2014, 20:12
Yup- all birds have them. the metal piece was bluebirds version of a transition slope

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
02-09-2014, 20:21
Gregg,

I agree with the others. It's a lead impregnated rubber mat for sound and vibration damping. I removed mine when Ernie installed my engineered hardwood floor. It is effective; I noticed an increase in both generator noise and vibration without the mat, but the increase was never bothersome.

Thanks for the pics! Keep 'em coming! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
02-10-2014, 01:09
Thanks to all,
I get into these projects and think I know what I am doing. It really helps to have an experienced group to rely on.

More pics to follow.

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
02-10-2014, 23:32
Looks like the sound proofing has to come out. Even with the metal transition piece, the height difference was too much for the tile.

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
05-18-2014, 16:16 (This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 16:27 by Gregg.)
Majority of floor is done.
İmage İmage

Tile we used

We have up front to finish but entry steps are done. We decided to go with wood since this was my first tile job.
İmage İmage İmage

(05-18-2014 16:16)Gregg Wrote:  Majority of floor is done.

Tile we used

We have up front to finish but entry steps are done. We decided to go with wood since this was my first tile job.

İmage İmage İmage

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
05-28-2014, 00:21 (This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 00:22 by jwasnewski.)

Tile we used

Tile we used

Tile we used

Tile we used

Whoops.
So how is the tile floor floating on that wood?

Leroy A. Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
05-30-2014, 11:27
Hey Leroy,
I probably wasn’t very clear on what I meant by a floating tile floor. When we started looking at tile flooring, there were several comments about big tile cracking in motor homes, due to vibration and stress. We wanted to avoid this so we looked for a tile which you installed without gluing it to the subfloor. Also, I didn’t want to put down backer board.
We found this product which is designed not to be glued.

It has a nonskid backing attached to the tile which snaps together forming an exact joint.
You then use their grout which I think is formulated with some adhesive. This holds the tile in place. I’m sure this holds in a home, in the Bird I used wood blocks wherever the tile wasn’t tight against something.

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
06-02-2014, 20:57 (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 21:03 by jwasnewski.)
(05-30-2014 11:27)Gregg Wrote:  Hey Leroy,
I probably wasn’t very clear on what I meant by a floating tile floor. When we started looking at tile flooring, there were several comments about big tile cracking in motor homes, due to vibration and stress. We wanted to avoid this so we looked for a tile which you installed without gluing it to the subfloor. Also, I didn’t want to put down backer board.
We found this product which is designed not to be glued.

It has a nonskid backing attached to the tile which snaps together forming an exact joint.

You then use their grout which I think is formulated with some adhesive. This holds the tile in place. I’m sure this holds in a home, in the Bird I used wood blocks wherever the tile wasn’t tight against something.

I see how it is floating. Thanks.

I have a floating laminate floor in my home. I wonder about it but to date it seems fine. I also have a floating tile floor installed over Schluter on the second floor. It is actually disconnected from the substrate and is rock solid. Interesting engineering.

My coach's tile has never cracked and is stuck tight.

Leroy A. Eckert
Dahlonega, GA

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)