Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets Talk HWH Slides
03-19-2014, 21:37
Lets Talk HWH Slides
Hello WaGu,

as Erika and I roll on down the many Hwys of our country , I find myself thinking about the many systems we use in our coach , The one that a select few of us have would be the got to have one/not me SLIDE hahaha . well our use usually consist of extend/retract once a week !!

so my question , how does this space increasing wonder work ?
Is there any maintenance ?? we can do .
where are the cylinder's located ?
if we need to make a repair , who can we trust ? or can we handle it ?

you see I have noticed my slide is not retracting as smoothly as she did when first purchased .

I know we have 2 cylinder's and a sync cylinder . I noticed a little fluid leak on one , could this create a issue ?can it be repaired or does it need to be replaced ?
If replaced , what adjustments need to be made , if any ?
would we need to bleed and if so how ?

Look forward to hearing the thoughts of all the LXI SLIDE GuRus L

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2014, 22:52 (This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 22:57 by davidbrady.)
RE: Lets Talk HWH Slides
Hi Al,

Here's a very good document from our Document Library that answers many of your questions. It's entitled, "HWH Synchronizing Cylinder, by HWH Corp".

Here's another very good document that has a troubleshooting section and procedures for replacing and bleeding room extension cylinders and the sync cylinder, "Room Extension Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, by HWH Corp".

These two manual will answer most of your questions. Pay particular attention to the final two pages of the HWH Synchronizing Cylinder document.

On extend or retract, one side of the room slightly lagging the other is normal. If one side greatly lags or of the room racks side to side then there's an issue. A leak within the sync cylinder or air pockets within the hydraulic system can cause this. The hydraulic system does need to be bled when parts are replaced.

If the room creeps out after it's been retracted, the cause is usually a leak at one of the room cylinders, or an internal seal leak within a room cylinder; although, a visible leak at the sync cylinder can also cause this.

HWH room controls are fairly maintenance free. Pay attention to the reservoir fluid level, keep the rams clean and lubed with silicon lubricant, routinely check for leaks, check for debris at the top of the slide, make sure the awning extends properly and doesn't bind, and keep a watchful eye on the behavior of the room to confirm that it extends and retracts fully, doesn't rack from side to side, doesn't bind, works fairly smoothly, and keeps pretty well in sync. One side slightly leading the other is okay. At the end of the stroke the lagging side should catch up as the poppet valves open in the sync cylinder. Be sure to keep the extend/retract button depressed for 5s after the room stops moving to ensure that fluid within the sync cylinder is flushed thru. This helps keep the room moving in a synchronized manner. Also it's very important to never reverse room motion midstream. If you wish to reverse, first fully complete the current extend or retract cycle.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-20-2014, 01:55
David ,

the info provided here is very good to have on File . Thanks much, from the looks of it we have a 2 cylinder set up with a synchronizer . I guess as you point out there isn t much we can do but check the oil and keep it clean . Looks like now I know what al those hoses are under there hahaha . I did not see where the numbers are in case we needed any othe parts . where would they be located , looks like the cylinders are in the frame tube ? Is that correct ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
03-20-2014, 12:34 (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 12:48 by travelite.)
Hi Al,

On the LXi, the synchronization cylinder is located in the curbside first basement bay, illustrated by the red arrow in this pic: İmage

The room cylinders are located with the ram tubes.

All of the HWH docs are located in our Document Library at Document Library -> House -> HWH

Here's a document that describes the procedure for replacing a room cylinder: Room Extension Cylinder Replacement, by HWH, and

here's the document that describes the part numbers for the room and synchronization cylinders: Blue Bird Room Extension Assemblies, by HWH.

Sorry, but I have no hands-on experience with replacing the room or sync cylinders. For my entire 9 year ownership my LXi slide was trouble free, 100% reliable. It's a very robust system! Smile

Here's a list of HWH Master Service Centers, Dealers, and Service Centers.

david brady,

03-20-2014, 16:22
David ,

great info as always , I was able to locate the sync # AP14862 , but the only way to identify the ram would be to remove it . I am not in a area where this is a option at this time . Maybe when we are visiting Peter in Vancouver Smile we can handle this little issue .

If any one know the # s or has any info on whether we could just have the cylinder repaired ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
03-20-2014, 17:43
Al,

My old LXi had room extension mechanism part number: AP19000 and AP19001 for left and right.

From the "Blue Bird Room Ext Assy Guide, by HWH":

DUAL CYLINDER ROOM EXTENSION - 22.0" STROKE (WITH SYNCHRONIZING CYLINDER) - AP17158 KIT

CYLINDER ASSEMBLY: ITEM 1 - RAP90593 (22.5" STROKE) REPLACES - AP15384

SYNCHRONIZING CYLINDER: ITEM 3 - RAP90461 (8.860" STROKE) REPLACES - AP14862

TUBE KIT: ITEM 2 - RAP90480 - REPLACES AP13252

You can see that AP14862 has been superseded by RAP90461

david brady,

03-20-2014, 18:21
David ,

so we have RAP90461 Sync cylinder ? so would this mean as a 3 piece kit . AP17158 replaces all 3 ? and AP19000 would be a replacement for just the left looking curb side ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
03-20-2014, 18:43
I think the AP17158 kit get's you Items (1), (2), and (3). If you just want a room cylinder then I think you only need RAP90593, but you should probably get RAP90480 too because your leak could be in these connecting tubes and hoses. But, you definitely want to verify this with HWH.

david brady,

03-20-2014, 18:50
David ,

as we read the HWH info they refer to a tub kit ? what might this be ?? I have also made contact with HWH and the part is 8 days out at a cost of 310.00 dollars . the sync cylinder is 474.00 if I want one

What is RAP90480 ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
03-20-2014, 19:00
The tube kit is RAP90480 which is a hydraulic pipe with fittings and a section of rubber hose that connects to the room cylinder.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)