Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out 'n About in Mr. SquarePants
08-12-2014, 12:05
Out 'n About in Mr. SquarePants
We've been traveling in Mr SquarePants for the past month. First a trip to Harrisburg Pa, then a little sightseeing in Nasheville TN, followed by a Prevost Service in Goodlettesville, TN. All's well! The family has really grown into this new bus. Sleeping's a cinch, everyone's discovered their favorite cubbyholes, and try as she might, Suzana has yet to overflow the basement storage. Ha! LOL!

So far this year I've driven 6000 miles. I'm still learning, and probably will be for quite some time, but I've really gotten to know this machine. I thought I'd give you an update on what I've learned so far.

First, backing up took some getting used to. It's not like a BB where you can hang your head out the captain's window, not unless your head is smaller than my 4"x6" toll booth window! So I've had to relearn backing up with only sideview mirrors and my review camera. I got it down now, but it was dicey in the beginning. The bus is longer, but it has a shorter rear overhang, and it turns sharper, so I've really gotten the hang of placing the rear axle, judging the overhang, and cranking the steer tires. SpongeBob has a liftable tag via an air bag linkage. This feature really tightens up the turning radius. It's also very fast, as quick as I can throw the lever, the tag is up. Well it's not really up, just unloaded. If the bus wasn't close to 35,000 lbs on the drive/tag it would be up! Smile

There are no leveling jacks on SpongeBob; instead, I rely on Prevost's Level-Lo feature which is a fancy word for air leveling. I can use Level-Lo to automatically level the bus, or I can do it manually. This feature also allows me to raise or lower any portion of the bus to clear obstacles. It works well and it eliminates a piece of complexity. Typically I pull into a CG and while the engine's running on fast idle I put Level-Lo in automatic mode and within a few seconds the bus is level and ready for slideout deployment.

The slides on SpongeBob are non-structural. It's interesting that the first generation of Prevost slides were structural. (Many of you have probably seen the six large diameter locking pins, three on each side. Prevost tried that setup for maybe 3 generations of slides but you'll notice that as of the '07 chassis they went to a non-structural slide with a single locking pin mounted at the center and bottom of the slide body. They also modified the chassis structure to restore strength. Featherlite Vantare adopted the non-structural slides from the very beginning. I have two locking pins at the top and a huge amount of steel (beams) in the sidewall and basement to restore strength. I have no pressurized air seals; instead, I have bulb style compression seals, which eliminate another source of complexity. I couldn't be happier with my slideout design and implementation - smooth, quiet, dry, and reliable operation.

The dual Trace SW (4KW, pure sinewave) inverters provide all the power to the coach, even when plugged into shore or generator power. Everything comes thru the SW's. There are no additional transfer switches or contactors upstream or downstream. Yet another source of complexity eliminated. The SW's incorporate an automatic generator start feature. No third party GenCon overseeing battery voltage and genny start. (another source of complexity eliminated). There's no battery dedicated to start the generator. I have a switch that allows me to connect the starter to either the house batteries or the chassis batteries. I have eight 4D AGM's and am pleased with their performance. Without Cruisair's running, but with ordinary use of all other systems including my 120VAC Jenn Air residential refrigerator, I can go 60 hours before the generator automatically starts.

My slideout's are electric motor driven as are the lock pins. My toilet is by Headhunter and is macerating via a jet of water, no air power. Pocket doors are electric motor driven. Dump valves are electric. I have an air accessory system but the only house items on it are the captain's air seat, a lock for the telescoping and swiveling steering wheel, and a slide out floor for the entry way. There's no entryway air door lock. My accessory air pressure system stays pressurized - it doesn't leak down. In fact Prevost owners are usually taught to run the engine at low idle for a couple of minutes prior to switching to fast idle. They do this to build air pressure in the accessory air system. Why? Because the belt driven engine cooling fan uses an air bag tensioning system to snug up the three parallel v-belts. Switching to high idle before the system is snug can sometimes throw a belt. Me... I throw it to high idle as soon as I see oil pressure, usually within seconds. This lack of interior air driven components (pocket doors, slide seals, toilets, etc), means I never run my aux air compressor. There's no need!

It's a complex bus with many complex components, but the elimination of hydraulically powered components, air powered components, and third party control devices like GenCon's, and not relying upon slide body's for structural support which eliminates jammed and sticking lock pins, is proving to me that Vantare has added simplicity where it counts. All this adds up to reliability.

The most challenging aspect of the bus is it's height. He measures 12' 4" at the top of the Gerard awnings, but then I have have a KVH dome that pushes me to 13' 5" at the center of the bus. The top has little on it that requires service - my four Cruisairs are in the basement, but I have learned that you can walk on a Prevost roof, and you can walk anywhere on the roof, not just at the roof bows.

So far we're getting a real kick out of this machine and I just wanted to share some of it with you.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like davidbrady's post
08-12-2014, 12:32
RE: Out 'n About in Mr. SquarePants
Sounds great David! Very educational and I look forward to vicariously learning more about Vantare and Prevost through your experiences and journalism. I have often thought that air operated systems are best kept to a minimum due to required maintenance as time wears on. Glad you and the family are enjoying it.

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
08-12-2014, 18:39
nice write up, David.
I just fixed my hydraulic jacks. I have air leveling and hydraulic jacks. Seems a fuse by the pump motor had fallen apart. Everything works, now. It has taken almost a year to get it right.

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
08-13-2014, 11:11
(08-12-2014 18:39)ernie ekberg Wrote:  nice write up, David.
I just fixed my hydraulic jacks. I have air leveling and hydraulic jacks. Seems a fuse by the pump motor had fallen apart. Everything works, now. It has taken almost a year to get it right.

Ernie, It would seem we have the same vintage bird. What is this air leveling you speak of?

Turner's on Tour
'97 Wanderlodge 43'
Full-timers originally from Wilmington, NC

08-14-2014, 08:02
I believe you could order the air leveling when building the coach. The HWH system has that feature. You can look on your control panel to see if there is an air button beside the Hyd button

Ernie Ekberg
Weatherford, Tx
08-14-2014, 10:55
Thanks everyone. If you don't mind hearing about a Prevost once in a while, I'll keep you up-to-date on my findings. Smile

Ernie, I remember when Paul Lazar had his air leveling installed. He was considering HWH Active Air but didn't think it was worth the money; however, he did let HWH install Air Leveling on Ziggy.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-14-2014, 11:48
Thanks Ernie, I definitely do not have that but will read up on it. The idea of it sounds intriguing.

David I like to read about your coach, much better review than MH magazine could do. Smile

Turner's on Tour
'97 Wanderlodge 43'
Full-timers originally from Wilmington, NC

[+] 1 user Likes Deb N Randy's post
08-14-2014, 20:42
So, I guess that the air leveling was an add on and not from the BB factory?
I wonder if Paul was the 2nd owner? I think I remember him saying that the PO before him had a Rolls as a toad?
If so, I gotta get rid of the vw bug Big Grin

Ernie Ekberg
Weatherford, Tx
08-14-2014, 21:11
(08-14-2014 20:42)ernie ekberg Wrote:  So, I guess that the air leveling was an add on and not from the BB factory?
I wonder if Paul was the 2nd owner? I think I remember him saying that the PO before him had a Rolls as a toad?
If so, I gotta get rid of the vw bug Big Grin

A Rolls? I don't remember seeing that in the FMCA guide to toads!

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
08-15-2014, 00:28 (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 00:29 by cmillsap.)
Air leveling was an option that could be included in the HWH package. Also available with the air leveling option, HWH offered a feature than was called "Momentary". That feature allowed the manual increase/decrease of the front or rear air suspension while traveling below 15(?)mph. The idea was basically to raise or lower either end of the bus to clear obstacles. You just held the appropiate button down until you cleared the obstacle.

My first LXi was equipped with it and I used it a lot to lower the front and raise the rear of the bus to keep it from dragging the street when backing out of my driveway. My present LXi doesn't have it or any air leveling and I kinda miss it.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)