Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powertech Generator/Kubota overheating
08-15-2014, 15:00
RE: Powertech Generator/Kubota overheating
(08-12-2014 15:10)Peter Amos Wrote:  After an intermittent amount of time (3 hours to 2 days) the generator in my Wanderlodge will shut off showing overheating. The push button is blinking three times meaning an overheat. Anyone have the issue and how did you resolve. I have checked the basics - water level, air flow on radiator, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Peter,

When was the coolant replaced? I had a similar problem crop up out of the blue with the Powertech Kubota combo on my 91 after I had it for a short while. When it happened, flushing the rad cooling system had already been on my 'to do' list since the coolant looked somewhat dark. I discovered that a prior owner had already removed the thermostat, so that eliminated that as the cause of the overheating. I added two cans of Prestone heavy duty radiator flush and let it run the recommended amount of time and then opened the radiator petcock and drained the system. From the looks of the output, it definitely had scale build up and needed the flushing. I refilled with tap water and ran it some more, then opened the radiator petcock again, left the water hose running in the expansion tank filler and let it run some more until every thing coming out the radiator petcock was totally clear. After it cooled, I opened the block drain as well and drained the block water jacket. I refilled with a 50-50 mixture of distilled water and Fleet Charge SCA Precharged Antifreeze & Coolant, from the Tractor Supply Company. No more overheating problems and it runs at 160 degrees under all conditions now. I did not replace a thermostat since it is working fine without one.

FWIW, YMMV, etc. Good luck.

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mikebulriss's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Powertech Generator/Kubota overheating - mikebulriss - 08-15-2014 15:00

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)