Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Smart Car" carrier
09-06-2014, 21:54
RE: "Smart Car" carrier
Tesla sharing their patents recently and their strategy is the right move.

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2014, 02:39
here is a bit of what I was thinking about with a lift trailer.
the red frame is on the outside of the green tube axle. the yellow air shock is also the lift. the stroke doesnt work out and nothing is calced but without the car all you have is two tires and a frame. a bunch needs to be worked out but after I finish my hummer quad rack this is next.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
09-08-2014, 17:30 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 18:15 by travelite.)
Because of the cantilevered nature of the wheel and the angle of the strut, there's going to be a load on the strut which will be a multiple of the vehicle weight, probably a factor of 2 depending upon the angle. I haven't looked to see if air operated cylinders are available in the 2000 lb range. For a 100 psi tank, that would be a 5" diameter cylinder. You may need hydraulic assist or a true air spring. Take a look at this Prevost Stabilizator system which is meant to lift the back end of some Prevosts when the tag is dumped. (It's a discontinued system). Also, the horizontal and vertical components of the strut load will apply a moment to the trailer cross-member which adds to the loads already placed upon the undercarriage body mount. And, this is only looking at static loads. As ArcticDude pointed out, that mounting system is where the devil resides!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)