Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genn Battery Not charging
07-07-2015, 18:40
RE: Genn Battery Not charging
ok , update confirmed a bad Alternator , now on the hunt for a new one any thoughts ? Tried a John Deer dealer, but was it close but no cigar as they say . Bolt pattern of 1/4 inch Sad

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 17:07
was unable to sourse local . I did visit Antietam on the way to one spot , so all was not in vain lol it was on the way seriously Erika hahaha

so we have ordered the alternator from Power-Tech , it will meet me in KOP in the morning . I was able to confirm from 1 of my stops that it was the alternator , so mystery solved . I guess they don't last forever .

cost 399.00 + shipping 57.00 Smile

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-09-2015, 21:18
well update on the update . I still have the same issue with the new Alternator . when first installed all was good for around a hour or so then the issue returned .

so what could burn out the /alternator , as it appears to have happened . I am again going down to 5 amps then 4 then cut out ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-09-2015, 21:38
Al,

I know very little about automotive electrical circuits but that alternator output voltage must be regulated by a common voltage regulator that regulates how much voltage goes to keep the battery charged and the ignition circuits powered. You should speak to Jeff at Powertech and ask him what could be causing your problem.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
07-09-2015, 22:04
hello Chuck. Looks like you and Erika think alike lol , not sure why it worked then quite but I sure hope I didn't burn out the new alternator . that one bolt is a bear to get in and out hahaha

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-09-2015, 23:22
ok , now I am sure it has been fixed Smile seems like there are 2 terminals I could plug one of the wires in . after a good council session with my good buddy Ed Wimberley all is good now Smile air is cold and genny is running , thank you WaGU brothers for all the help .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-10-2015, 00:31
Al,

Have you had your battery tested? I'm afraid these might be light duty alternators designed to replenish the drain after running the starter. If your battery is bad and isn't taking a charge asking the alternator to run continuously might be too much for it. Our 50DN's are designed for 300A constant use; these are different beasts!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
07-10-2015, 08:41
so you think it best to also replace the battery now that I have placed it through multiple discharges ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-10-2015, 11:09 (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 11:17 by davidbrady.)
I'd take the battery to NAPA for testing, then check all the connections and cables from the alternator to the battery, including grounds. Take them off, wire brush them, clean the battery terminals with baking soda or a aerosol battery post neutralizer/cleaner, coat everything with dielectric grease.

I really don't know what else it could be except a faulty battery that's over-taxing the alternator, faulty connections or cables, or a cheap-ass alternator from you know where... Smile

Get in there and get dirty! Big Grin

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
07-10-2015, 13:02
now easy with the greasy comment , I did install that Alternator Smile Now if you ever did one , you know the lower bolt is a bear to get in .

But as I said , all is good slept sound with Air-condition Smile

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)