Dave, how about 4 of these fail legs.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 20:05 (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 20:57 by davidbrady.)
RE: First newbee mistake w/ generator on SpongeBob
(10-30-2014 13:15)GregOConnor Wrote:  Dave, how about 4 of these fail legs.

Clever Greg, I like the way you think! I'll check to see what kind of room I have available. I defintely don't ever want this to happen again. It could have been a catastrophic loss of lubricant, saved only by the oil pressure cutoff switch - if it's working, and even then who knows if the shutdown is quick enough! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
11-07-2014, 11:59 (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 12:29 by davidbrady.)
Well, it took two days but I was successful in removing the old sump pan and installing a new one. If my physical dimensions were slightly different I would not have been able to complete this job - only someone with long lanky arms like me could have the reach and slenderness to get in there! A very difficult job... And, after its all bolted up and torqued what do I find out? Vantare's 3/8 NPT oil drain ball valve doesn't thread into the barely accessible sump ban bung! A quick call to Powertech reveals that the bung thread is metric and most likely straight and Vantare ran an NPT tap down it for a tapered fitting! Turns out the pitch on the metric thread is very very close to the 3/8 NPT as is the diameter such that you can get a seal once tapped. So, do I remove the entire thing and tap it on the bench or do I grease up a tap and contort myself into the small opening to do it in situ? Huh I should have been a surgeon!

david brady,

11-07-2014, 17:23
A little digging turned up this M16x1.5 (male) to 3/8 NPT (female) adapter. I'm in business again. Smile

david brady,

11-11-2014, 13:24 (This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 19:17 by GregOConnor.)
Many Bobcat tractors have a length of rubber hose threaded into the pan. On the other end of the hose is a cap. If you use a male to male adaptor you can attach a larger I d hose . My 863 tractors have steel pipe attached to the pan and that works better for flo because the pipe stays warm while draining. The hose is long enough to use for draining oil from the pan

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-13-2014, 15:24 (This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 15:25 by davidbrady.)
Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I had a hose made up today. 16mmx1.5 straight fitting on one side, 37 deg JIC plug on the other, and a section of 3000 psi hydraulic hose for extra toughness. I like this approach the best. Smile

david brady,

11-14-2014, 13:40
cool. I have a 60" skid steer, Mustang model that I modified from new to fit a 49" opening. I beat the heck out of this machine and bounce it off the rear tires to turn. One issue that happens is a hose suspended off a motor control port has a 90deg solid bend (like your pan connection) the hose weight spins the jic lose since it is orientated lefty-loosy and the rubber length is a long heavy suspension pulling down when the tractor hits all fours. If you can orientate the 90 deg hang to be righty-tighty (ASME term?) it may be a good practice. or support the weight of the rubber hose. leaks in the hydraulic hoses are usually hoses coming lose from rebound energy left in the rubber when a hose twist during that last wrench turn.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)